• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bill in House re: Energy Codes

conarb

There is an interesting bipartisan bill in The House to require all energy codes to have a 10 year payback feature, it also is going to require (if it becomes law) that the DOE provide a technical adviser in energy code development. I see good and bad here, financial impact should be taken into consideration for every code proposal, and God only knows how much help the code writing agencies need, but this could be the slippery slope to the government taking over the code writing agencies.
attachment.php
Jeff, I paid the renewal but still can't upload files. This is from an article in WDM magazine:¹¹ http://onlinedigeditions.com/publication/?i=258667#{%22issue_id%22:258667,%22page%22:20}

View attachment 2151

View attachment 2151

/monthly_2015_05/energy_regulation.jpg.c4611a5da0b597c45d45c17c651ebd01.jpg

This actually reigns in the DOE participation--they had been arguing for 30 year paybacks--they life of a typical mortgage

Frank said:
This actually reigns in the DOE participation--they had been arguing for 30 year paybacks--they life of a typical mortgage
Well yes, that's the good part, it makes them economically viable, I also think they should use numbers without any tax credits, tax credits aren't free, the rest of us, at least those of us who pay taxes, are subsidizing this fiasco. An example is here in a moderate climate lots of insulation was removed with the hantavirus scare, people I've talked to who had it removed report no difference in their heating bills, people who have installed solar panels are actually paying more for their electricity/solar leases than before they installed the panels, in some cases a lot more. The bad part is the direct participation in the code writing process by the government, maybe the first step in the government taking over the code process. I was amazed to see that a home I was having designed was being designed to FEMA standards, the structural engineer took a FEMA manual off his shelf and showed me when I questioned why the plan checker was challenging his engineering.