• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Biobased foam?

RJJ

Co-Founder
Anybody having this stuff used in residential homes? I have a contractor who wants to use it in an attic. Attic has a heater in it. Seems esr-1383 allows it in attics unprotected!

Re: Biobased foam?

RJJ said:
Anybody having this stuff used in residential homes? I have a contractor who wants to use it in an attic. Attic has a heater in it. Seems esr-1383 allows it in attics unprotected!
This the soybean stuff?

Dont believe everything you read in an ES report, these companies are getting pretty good at confusing language and getting it passed through ICC-ES. Almost always needs some kind of protection on the spray foam, thermal, ignition or intumescent barrier. Probably need a thermal barrier if there is a heater in the attic.

jb701 said:
Dont believe everything you read in an ES report, these companies are getting pretty good at confusing language and getting it passed through ICC-ES. Almost always needs some kind of protection on the spray foam, thermal, ignition or intumescent barrier. Probably need a thermal barrier if there is a heater in the attic.
I read on once that said something like does not require a thermal barrier if installed per section xxx,

Issue was tht code section required a barrier. :roll: :roll: :lol:

It has received approval, it is a "feel good" insulation for all the Greenies who want to think they are using natural biodegradable products, yet from what I hear it's nothing but the old toxic polyurethane foam with some soy added so the can call it soy based foam and feel good about saving the earth.

Inspector Gift: the link Mule provided is the same as mine.

CA: Yes it is approved.

After reading through this product paper work it appears it can be installed under certian conditions.

In this case the attic has a heating unit install so a barrier is need or separate the heater form the attic. I figure Ignition barrier is needed.