• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

blank plate gfci test-reset outlet at appliances

mschirmer

So i understand that 2020 Code has changed up the list of required appliances which a gfci, but do all appliances need them? I do understand cities can add to the requirements but i just wanted to be clear on whether the code requires a refrigerator, undercounter ice maker, microwave, etc. to require a gfci in readily accessible locations. We work in commercial office setting primarily so most of our locations involve a office break room. I've seen the code moved to 422 in the NEC but it doesnt say anything about the items listed and just verifying if i missed something.

Also, I'm not very good at the electrical stuff so what part of this code speaks on allowing blank plate gfci test-reset buttons above the counter? And how far away can i put them from the appliance?

So i understand that 2020 Code has changed up the list of required appliances which a gfci, but do all appliances need them? I do understand cities can add to the requirements but i just wanted to be clear on whether the code requires a refrigerator, undercounter ice maker, microwave, etc. to require a gfci in readily accessible locations. We work in commercial office setting primarily so most of our locations involve a office break room. I've seen the code moved to 422 in the NEC but it doesnt say anything about the items listed and just verifying if i missed something.

Also, I'm not very good at the electrical stuff so what part of this code speaks on allowing blank plate gfci test-reset buttons above the counter? And how far away can i put them from the appliance?
The appliances you mentioned only require GFCI protection if the outlet they are plugged into is within 6' of the rim of the sink. The GFCI protection for the outlets on the counter can be done by wiring all of the regular outlets in series with a GFCI unit that has the reset button in a readily accessible location. A readily accessible location is basically any location that you can just simply walk up and press the button with your finger. If you have to get down and crawl, or get a ladder out, or need a tool, the location is not readily accessible. The reset button does not have to be within a certain distance of the outlets it serves - it doesn't even have to be in the same room... it could be part of the circuit breaker for the outlets if you wanted.

You should talk to an electrician, it should not be difficult for him to make whatever you have going on comply with the code, if necessary.

At this point I should also give you the speech about only letting licensed electrician do that kind of work... but I'm not your father/mother/gaurdian/spiritual leader/probation officer/ etc... Just know that it is advisable and probably a legal requirement where you are located.

Thank you for the detailed information. Very helpful. I definitely leave this to the licensed electrician although I'm not beyond stupidity while walking through a job site with wires hanging around.

$ $ = $ $

mschirmer,

Great info provided by Beniah Naylor !..........If you do decide to
hire a licensed electrician, you may want to get something
in writing from them, stating that their work complies with
the 2020 National Electrical Code, and they're liable for

their work..........Your company \ corporation \ building owner
may want or require documentation of compliance.

$ $ = $ $

north star, you bet. As far as i am aware, Texas requires 2020 NEC certification for all Electricians. Even if I'm incorrect on that, The Tenant Development side of the business side I'm on hands over the permit sets to the Construction Manager of any given building we work in to handle this portion.

Just for clarity. If i have a dishwasher, built-in microwave and refrigerator requiring a gfci reset, can they go on the same gfci blank plate or does that require multiple plates? I'm just now realizing 20amp is a dedicated outlet. shame on me for as long as i've done this. I guess this is more due to outlets impacting design now than before. Break rooms were an afterthought. not anymore.

If you want to have them all on the same GFCI, you can legally do that, but be aware that if you put too many appliances on one circuit, you will trip the breaker. I don't know how many amps your set-up would try to pull, but it is something to consider.

Also, I don't think that 20amp circuit has to be a dedicated circuit since you are not in a dwelling unit.

See NEC 210.52(B) for dedicated circuits, and NEC 210.8(B) for GFCI protection for other than dwelling units.