• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Blower door test

barlovian

Bronze Member
Who is responsible for conducting the blower door test? Is it the building inspector or the builder?

Re: Blower door test

Anyone other than the Building Official, as long as that person is qualified to conduct it. An inspectors job is to inspect, not conduct tests. We witness tests. We review test results. But we do not perform the actual test.

Does anyone require a copy of the testers certification? If you do what certification do you accept.

barlovian said:
Who is responsible for conducting the blower door test? Is it the building inspector or the builder?
3rd party inspection. Here in CA, they have a program called HERS and they provide third party inspectors/firms for the energy tests. These are required on large developments now.

I did blower door and duct blasting in the 80's-90's while working for CAAs. Also was certified.

Sue, barely in CA

I would agree, 3rd party, my question would be who is responsable if the home does not pass the blower door test after the insulation inspection and d-wall and the like has to be ripped off and fixed. Also, when and how do other jurisdictions handle these insulation inspections, i.e., under slab, foundation walls, behind corners, and such, the walls and attic are the easy ones, but we cannot be on-site for the whole process, we are thinking that the contractor would have to be responsable for all the liability if the test does not pass. Up here we have always allowed self-cert of res insulation, but w/ the new energy code, we will have to start implementing the res inspections, any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Bill