• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

brick and block foundation

buck33k

I am an electrician by trade. I am having a house built and I am concerned about the foundation. It started well with block on the footing but soon 1/2 bricks were used as seen in the photos. I hope the photos load. It is a raised slab using 9 rows of brick supported on the bottom row outside by half bricks with the brick holes running horizontally. Attached are 2 photos. Does this seem proper and strong? I was told the bricks are stronger with the holes running vertically, which these are not. Does it matter in this case? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you. Buck
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11316822@N06/28664628615/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11316822@N06/28047331364/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:
Welcome

I cannot get the pictures to show and not
A building type person

Anyway

Any plans on how the foundation is supposed to be built?

Is it built like the plan?!

Do you live where a building inspector will look at it??

You can have a structural engineer look at the entire thing and advise you

I am sorry the photos will not load. I have them on Flckr and tried to copy the address without success. A building inspector did sign off on the foundation but I for some reason question it. I will keep trying on the photos. Thank you.

If you are a paying member you can upload from almost anything

You can call the inspector and ask him nicely to come back and look at your concerns

Any plans??

I think I have the URLs up now for 2 photos. It took me an hour. Many thanks for your patience. Plans show footing and wall only.

Hum
I am an electrician by trade. I am having a house built and I am concerned about the foundation. It started well with block on the footing but soon 1/2 bricks were used as seen in the photos. I hope the photos load. It is a raised slab using 9 rows of brick supported on the bottom row outside by half bricks with the brick holes running horizontally. Attached are 2 photos. Does this seem proper and strong? I was told the bricks are stronger with the holes running vertically, which these are not. Does it matter in this case? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you. Buck
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11316822@N06/28664628615/in/dateposted-public/

Not a foundation person

But seems like the Bricks,,, are facade

Missing the horizontal part

Talking about the Cmu or red brick??

Not a foundation person

But seems like the Bricks,,, are facade

Missing the horizontal part

Talking about the Cmu or red brick??
Thanks for the response CDA. The walls sit on top of the bricks. In the photo you can see the threaded rod coming out of the bricks.

Do you have complete plans of how they are supposed to built this??

As owner you should.

I see the rods. Not a bricklayer either

I still say the brick is nothing more than facade.

Not sure why the rods, maybe just a little more stability?

There should be some posters in the next few days that can give a lot better analysis.

You can always hire a third party to look at it and advise you. Would do it soon if you decide to do it.

Just an update. It seems the footing wasn't poured level so the brick outer wall was shimmed to make it level. The bottom row of half bricks were cut to act as shims while the inner block wall followed the contour of the footing. The slab will be poured up to the top of the brick wall which is level, then both walls will support the load.
Still at issue is the strength of the bottom row of half bricks. Had the footing been level, a row of full sized horizontal bricks would have been laid as the first course on the footing. I will find a structural engineer tomorrow.
I hope to hear from one of the foundation pros on this forum.

I've never seen a wall built like that using 4" CMU, anyone I've seen used 8" CMU. The CMU with what will be supporting the weight of the floor slab, the brick is just decorative. I'm extremely confused why you have threaded rod coming out of the bricks. I would understand if you had rebar coming out of the CMU, that's something that's normally done. Please keep us informed how this develops and what the threaded rods are used for.

I've never seen a wall built like that using 4" CMU, anyone I've seen used 8" CMU. The CMU with what will be supporting the weight of the floor slab, the brick is just decorative. I'm extremely confused why you have threaded rod coming out of the bricks. I would understand if you had rebar coming out of the CMU, that's something that's normally done. Please keep us informed how this develops and what the threaded rods are used for.

If you look at reply 12

It appears the foundation is going on the bricks

And maybe the rods are for the bottom board??

I keep asking about if there are any plans

And if do is this what they show?????

Thankyou for the replies. When I get home I will photo the foundation notes for all to see. I should have done this. They show the walls being supported by the bricks. Please look for my link later. Thanks again.

Not a residential person or foundation, just looks strange

1. Wonder how they are going to do the concrete floor?
2. Not sure if 4x8 block is the same as cmu block
3. Seems like a lot of weight eventually on that brick wall.

4. the cmu and brick work, looks like something I would do, just not pretty. Seems like the joints are missing mortar.

Would ask the structural engineer about that, and can the brick wall hold up the wall.

Are they going to fill the area made by the cmu wall??

Not an expert on masonry construction and was unable to access the N.C. Residential Code, but if those threaded rods are approved anchors then they should be installed in grouted CMU's in accordance with Section R403.1.6 " Bolts shall be at least ½ inch in diameter and shall extend a minimum of 7 inches into concrete or grouted cells of concete masonry untis."

There's administrative exception in accordance with accepted engineering practice.

I don't see where the brick is laid one it's side but to my knowledge that would not be permitted.

upload_2016-8-1_7-39-47.png

The use of 4 inch brick or CMU is permitted as a multi-wythe wall. Should contact the inspector about any insulation and approved anchorage seismic considerations for your area.

Thanks Francis
The threaded rod is 5/8". They rods were set down into the concrete footing which is below the blocks. I pasted the photo link below for the bricks laid on their side. If this link does not work it is in my original post. I looked for a rule prohibiting the bricks on their side but was unable to locate it. Do you know where this would be?
An inspector has given his positive opinion on this foundation but I feel I need to do my own research. I just emailed photos to an engineer out of my town and am waiting for a call. There are close ties between the bldg dept and the contractor which are not to my advantage.

Thanks Francis
The threaded rod is 5/8". They rods were set down into the concrete footing which is below the blocks. I pasted the photo link below for the bricks laid on their side. If this link does not work it is in my original post. I looked for a rule prohibiting the bricks on their side but was unable to locate it. Do you know where this would be?
An inspector has given his positive opinion on this foundation but I feel I need to do my own research. I just emailed photos to an engineer out of my town and am waiting for a call. There are close ties between the bldg dept and the contractor which are not to my advantage.

Great.

You will more than likely not find specific language that bricks can be laid on side.

Would lean more towards is it structurally sound and built to some engineered design.

As far as the inspector, I do not know anything about the inspector,

But,,, an old indpector once told me if you do not know the code,,, you cannot enforce it.

With the many books an inspector deals with and the different methods of construction, an inspector cannot know it all.

But should be able to see something that does not look right,,, And question it.

Thanks Francis

I would ask the inspector for the code section that provides the exception to R403.1.6

The code references standards which I do not have nor are familiar with their content;

R606.1 General. Masonry construction shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the provisions of this section, TMS 403 or in accordance with the provisions of TMS 402/ACI 530/ASCE 5.

R606.1.1 Professional registration not required. When the empirical design provisions of Chapter 5 of TMS 402/ACI 530/ASCE 5, the provisions of TMS 403, or the provisions of this section are used to design masonry, project drawings, typical details and specifications are not required to bear the seal of the architect or engineer responsible for design, unless otherwise required by the state law of the jurisdiction having authority.

I don't think you'll find language the expressly prohibits bricks laid on it's side, in my opinion permitted as accepted practice.

The following link may help provide additional information;

http://www.gobrick.com/Technical-Notes

The rods are to far from the corners to meet the 12" max. from the end of a sole plate. Did not see it before the footing was poured, but the all-thread should have had nut and washer and not bent because that would weaken it. Don't see a problem with it being in the brick if it is tied to the block properly and filled solid. Brick has a high compression strength, with the wire in the slab holding it I would believe it is supported for tension. Would give it a D for looks lol but other than the anchor bolts it meets the approved plans.

The rods are to far from the corners to meet the 12" max. from the end of a sole plate. Did not see it before the footing was poured, but the all-thread should have had nut and washer and not bent because that would weaken it. Don't see a problem with it being in the brick if it is tied to the block properly and filled solid. Brick has a high compression strength, with the wire in the slab holding it I would believe it is supported for tension. Would give it a D for looks lol but other than the anchor bolts it meets the approved plans.

Are those generic plans pulled off some web site??

Seems like

Not to many measurements

Bad labeling