• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Builder's fix on BCI Joist cut

RN1218

On a walk through of new home build before dry wall, our inspector found some serious cuts on Joists.

One of them cut off the upper flange and web, and is under the bathroom with bathtub over it.
C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Cut_Total.jpg

Another one cut through the upper flange.
C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Cut_Detail.jpg

Then the builder did a "fix" with several 2x6 nail into it vertically.
C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Fix1.jpg

C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Fix2.jpg

C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Fix3.jpg

I do not think those do any good. Any suggestion?

On a walk through of new home build before dry wall, our inspector found some serious cuts on Joists.

One of them cut off the upper flange and web, and is under the bathroom with bathtub over it.
C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Cut_Total.jpg

Another one cut through the upper flange.
C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Cut_Detail.jpg

Then the builder did a "fix" with several 2x6 nail into it vertically.
C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Fix1.jpg

C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Fix2.jpg

C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Fix3.jpg

I do not think those do any good. Any suggestion?

Not acceptable..........require the stamped manufacturers engineers repairs in these areas, do not let them cover it. Is there a jurisdiction inspector? Have they been there?

Engineered wood products NEED to be installed per manufacturers specifications and I don't believe any of those fixes are in the manufacturers builders guide (downloadable from the manufacturers website BTW).
A licensed engineer could come up with a properly designed fix, but most will shrug and refer you to the manufacturer.
The manufacturers have engineers on staff that usually go into the field and either recommend a fix or possibly require removal of the now damaged product.

We use almost all engineered floor joists here. In my experience, if the top cord of the joist is cut less than half through, the fix is usually a 8' 2x4 with 4 nails on either side of the cut. But the repair details do change from manufacturer to manufacturer, so always rely on their specific designs. We require the contractor to submit these whenever the joist is damaged.

We have only had one house where the cuts were this bad and LVL were added on both sides of the joists for the full length of the joist. That plumber has never plumbed another house here.

I haven't seen blocking done that way except for squash blocks over a bearing I-beam

Pic #1, need an engineered fix design for the flange and web cuts.
Pic #4 need a horizontal steel strap were both top plates have been cut and I question the thickness of the wide metal strap covering the 3" pipe at the top plate on both sides?

Pic #4 need a horizontal steel strap were both top plates have been cut and I question the thickness of the wide metal strap covering the 3" pipe at the top plate on both sides?

Half agree... plates needed to protect the pipe
Half disagree... I'm not seeing this as a bearing wall, so the tie strap requirement of R602.6.1 may not be required.

JBI, I think your right, it may not be a bearing wall, the wall above the floor is probably above the double I-joist in the photo. The T-wall intersection should hold it in place as well.

The steel tie should be 16-ga with the proper amount of fasteners required. R602.6.1.

Reactions: JBI