• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building envelope testing

docgj

Silver Member
2009 IECC section 402.4.2.1. How are all of you enforcing the testing? Are you doing it yourselves (visual) or requiring a third party to do a blower door test?

docgj

Re: Building envelope testing

Doc,

How about the big bad wolf test (sorry couldn't resist). :)

2009 IRC, R104.11.1 " the building official shall have authority to require tests as evidence of compliance to be made at no expense to the jurisdiction."

Hope this helps,

Uncle Bob

UB,

Thats the direction I was heading. Require the contractor submit the results of either a blower door test or a visual test or maybe the big bad wolf test.

docgj

3rd party here with our observation, as we get build good faith with testers we will require scheduling in case we would like to drop in from time to time. :)

Min&Max,

Pa will not allow ammendments less restrictive.

Dave,

Great idea with the scheduling!

docgj

$150 and up.. only the little mom and pops can do it for the lower range.

I still don't believe unusually tight construction is a good idea in the long run.. hope I live long enough to see the future building failures..

"the building official shall have authority to require "

I don't have the 2009 code but that sure sounds like to me like it is an optional requirement if the code official deems it needed.

No one knows how to do it around here or the duct testing. I am under a lot of pressure because of this. Apparently I am as a-hole for requiring it on new construction since we are now under the 09.

Is there any information on duct and house testing so I can point these contractors in the right direction?

:DPrices vary on testing, but the important thing to remember is that: IECC 403.2.1 Insulation (Prescriptive) has an exception: ducts or portions thereof located completely inside the building thermal envelope.

And, 403.2.2 Sealing (Mandatory) has an exception for testing: "Duct tightness test is not required if the air handler and all ducts are located within conditioned space." No ducts in crawlspace [unless it's conditioned] or in the attic [unless it's conditioned] equals no problem. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we might be overlooking the requirements of Option 2. "Where required by the building official, an "approved" party (in house building inspector with energy code certification) independent of the installer of the insulation, shall inspect the air barrier and insulation. Or just your building inspector that routinely inspects the duct system and insulation.

Blower test is one option; not a requirement.

Uncle Bob

the insulation inspection is relatively easy.. they can't cram R-23 into a 2x4 wall... so look at the installation; is the vapor barrier continuous or did they friction fit the batt insulation (if they did, they may have to use a vapor barrier primer before they paint). Some of this needs to be addressed at plan review.

Blower door and duct pressurization come into play with LEED (ooops there's vitural money in the virtual jar).. or Green Home, Green Globe, etc certification is required in the jurisdiction (or by the project specs).

I can't believe that all duct work and AHU are always going to be in conditioned space (unless we start requiring shafts instead of stud walls).. so leak testing is an issue (mostly for water in the form of vapor condensation).

And that's easy enough to witness.. but the AC contractor needs to perform the test (just make sure the equipment is calibrated)... you can just the tightness of the duct simply by how much the manometer changes.

Any water (bulk or water vapor) that gets into the walls is going to be an issue down the line... good design, good installation, good over sight will minimize the problems down the line...