• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CA Min. Plumbing Facilities - Gender neutral stall

lilydesign

Hi everyone,

I am working on a wine tasting room in California and my occupant load is 39, 20 male/20 females. Looks like I have to provide 1 WC & 1 lavatory per gender as well as a urinal. Does anyone know if I can just provide 1 gender neutral restroom, instead of 2?

Thanks!

Lily

2902.2 Separate facilities. Where plumbing fixtures are required, separate facilities shall be provided for each sex.
Exceptions:
  1. Separate facilities shall not be required for dwelling units and sleeping units.

2. Separate facilities shall not be required in structures or tenant spaces with a total occupant load, including both employees and customers, of 15 or fewer.

3. Separate facilities shall not be required in mercantile occupancies in which the maximum occupant load is 100 or less.

On September 29, 2016 Governor Jerry Brown signed legislation (Assembly Bill 1732) requiring all single-occupancy public toilets to be All gender since March 1, 2017.

2019 CPC 422.2 Separate Facilities
Separate toilet facilities shall be provided for each sex.
Exceptions: [Not adopted for OSHPD 1, 1R, 2, 3, 4 & 5]
a) Residential installations.
b) In occupancies with a total occupant load of 10 or less, including customers and employees, one toilet facility, designed for use by no more than one person at a time, shall be permitted for use by both sexes.
c) In business and mercantile occupancies with a total occupant load of 50 or less including customers and employees, one toilet facility, designed for use by no more than one person at a time, shall be permitted for use by both sexes.