• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

California Existing Building Code. Which one?

glzath

First off, while I'm fairly well versed in the IBC, when it comes to the Cali codes, it'll be a bit of a re-education.

We have a small addition that will fall under the Existing Building Code. I'm trying to figure out which book or chapter we are to follow. We have found the 2016 CEBC Part 10 w/ January 2017 supplements and have also found Chapter 34A - Existing Structures in the 2016 CBC, Part 2, Vol 2 w/ the July 2018 supplement.

I went to the CBSC website and it states that Chapter 34 has been relocated to the CEBC, yet 34A appears to have similar information. Naturally, the relocated code sections cross reference link they give is dead.

Do we use them in conjunction with each other? Strange it wouldn't have been put in one place.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The California Building Standards Commission Has Adopted the CA Existing Building Code.(CEBC)

A portion of CBC chapter 34A has been adopted by the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD). Unless you are doing hospitals, disregard 34A.

Refer to the Adoption Matrix tables, in the front of the chapters, to find out which Government agency has Adopted which section, of the code.

Do not assume every section is adopted by every agency. That's why you need someone well versed in the CA codes.