• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

California - Multi-family partially publicly funded 11B?

GoGoGadget

Hi All. For a multi-family apartment building in California with an elevator-- if it's partially funded by public funds (not fully funded by public money), is it required to follow 11B requirements for public housing? Meaning 5% minimum units have to be fully mobility accessibly per 11B and the rest can be adaptable per 11A? Thank you

2 examples:

#1. A 20-unit building that costs $10,000,000, Public money contribution is $1. Yes, in that case, 5% of the units need to be made accessible per 11B.
#2 20 individual dwelling freestanding dwelling units on a commonly owned piece of property. The public funds cover 100% of the funding for one specific dwelling unit, and nothing for anything else, not even purchase of the land. In that case, that one specific unit needs to be 11B accessible, and all common area amenities need to be accessible.

Thank you Yikes. That was my assumption as well, but I wanted to double check. This means 5% of the apartments will be fully accessible per 11B and the rest will be adaptable per 11A.

Thank you Yikes. That was my assumption as well, but I wanted to double check. This means 5% of the apartments will be fully accessible per 11B and the rest will be adaptable per 11A.
Yes, but keep in mind that I'm just an architect, not a CASp, so you may yet get other opinions.
also, as a technical point, if you are first submitting for plan check on or after July 2021, you will no longer call the units "11A Adaptable". they will now be called "11B adaptable", and the newly minted applicable code sections for these adaptable units are 11B-809.6 through 11B-809.12.

11A applies to apartments, 11B applies only to office spaces and common spaces that might be accessible to or rented to the public.
FHA/HUD may also need to be considered.