• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can an elevator be the only means of egress from a small residential below grade parking garage?

phamster

The project is located in San Francisco, CA. It's a three story building with an underground parking garage for three dwelling units. Elevator access is available to all floors. The parking garage (Type U occ) is ~1975sf so the occupant load would be 10. This means that we only need one exit (as far as I can tell). Will the elevator satisfy all means of egress requirements? The elevator from the garage would lead up to the ground floor lobby from which the occupants can exit through an exit door to the public way. I feel like having an elevator as the only means of egress seems dangerous, and that I'm probably missing something in the code that prohibits this but I am unable to locate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How do cars get in? Gated entry? Roll up door? Inclined drive or straight in level?

Welcome

Besides not meeting travel distance

Shall have code compliant exit system,,, unless meeting an exception.

Plus when they turn the power off?????

Ok, thats not going to work. RU door won’t open in power outage, elevator is dead. Slope of the drive is too steep.

Ok, thats not going to work. RU door won’t open in power outage, elevator is dead. Slope of the drive is too steep.
I agree that it's not going to work based purely on common sense, and I'm not planning on having only the elevator as a means of egress I will add a stair or ramp. I'm just trying to figure out if there a code section that prohibits this because I can't find it. Thanks

Add a stair , plus the elevator
I will add a stair, I'm just trying to see what point I'm missing in terms of code requirement. Why can't we have just an elevator as a means of egress if only one is required based on the code? Aside from common sense of course.

I will add a stair, I'm just trying to see what point I'm missing in terms of code requirement.
2015 IBC 1003.7 Elevators, escalators ... shall not be used as a component of a required means of egress ...

There are exceptions, something tells me you won’t qualify, read the book.

Reactions: cda
What he said, what she said, what I said,,,,,,, More important what the good book says.

2020 San Fran Building Code

1003.7 Elevators, Escalators and Moving Walks
Elevators, escalators and moving walks shall not be used as a component of a required means of egress from any other part of the building.

Exception: Elevators used as an accessible means of egress in accordance with Section 1009.4.