• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can I build a slab foundation with a minimum front entrance requirement of 3 steps?

royhy

We are new builders and the architectural guidelines for this neighborhood calls for a minimum of 3 steps for the front entrance? How do I get this done with a slab foundation, or is my best bet to build a crawl space? Thank you!
-Roy

You could build a stem wall on a footing, fill the interior after placing plumbing etc. and then pour the slab. You're going to have to go below the frost line with the stem wall footing, not sure what it is in your area but I'm guessing around 24"? Just wondering, why do you want to do a slab foundation? Many people do not like them because the floors are always cold unless you embed hydroponic heating in it and plumbing repairs and upgrades as well as changing electrical systems much more difficult if you can't get under the floors.

By the way, with that requirement how to accommodate people with disabilities and are confined to a wheelchair?

There is no minimum height of risers in the IRC. You could make them 1/4" each. Surprised they don't let you put in a small ramp. Tell them the owners want it accessible. I would think it would be against civil rights not to let you put in a ramp.

I would think it would be against civil rights not to let you put in a ramp.
The development guidelines don’t say there can’t be a ramp, only that there has to be 3 steps. I agree ... get creative with the steps … maybe one brick high.

I didn't realize the IRC didn't have the minimum 4" riser height of the IBC. Another reason IRC is poor regarding stairs. But even 3 - 4" steps make a slab on grade not difficult and should keep the siding comfortably above ground.

There is no minimum height of risers in the IRC. You could make them 1/4" each. Surprised they don't let you put in a small ramp. Tell them the owners want it accessible. I would think it would be against civil rights not to let you put in a ramp.
1/4" rise steps is a ramp.

The development guidelines don’t say there can’t be a ramp, only that there has to be 3 steps. I agree ... get creative with the steps … maybe one brick high.
That's definitely a violation of the ADA and if they hold builders to that they could be in serious trouble! I may want to read the ADA and consult with their lawyers before proceeding.

ADA does not prohibit stairs - it has requirements on what makes them "accessible" in terms of rise/run and handrails. To accommodate people who cannot use stairs, you would need a ramp.