• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can MEP designer use architects title block?

Jay

SAWHORSE
Good evening.

Just received a set of MEP progress plans for a commercial project I am working on. Client did not go with my recommended firm, they hired this firm directly. Firm is based out of state but seems they have an NJ licensed engineer who is going to sign and seal the drawings.

I open up the drawings and BAM...to my surprise there are the MEP designs, on my title blocks! All they did was edit my name and license number with an engineer I have never met or heard of.

My first reaction was that it was very uncomfortable to see, mainly since it was a surprise and done without my permission. On the surface it looks like this guy who I do not know works for my firm. They even kept my initials in the "drawn by" box.

I consider myself a team player but this feels like someone just walked into my front door without knocking. Is this standard operating procedure?

This is pretty typical. Many architects want the same title block on all sheets within a drawing set. Consultants would then add their logo to the title block in addition to the architect’s on the sheets that the consultants prepared and number them accordingly. However, I would ask that they change the initials of the “Drawn By” person to the person in their office that actually prepared the drawings.

# ~ #

Jay,

Does the state in which you are licensed, have an
Architectural Review Board, or Engineering Review
Board ?......These types of Boards have established
guidelines \ rules \ regs. \ etc. that prohibit copyright
infringement.

# ~ #

If done without your blessing, it is copyright infringement.

That said, it is fairly typical for the Arch to establish the title block for the whole project. Each sheet that is prepared by a separate deign professional would include their logo/company/individual name/stamp/etc. inset to the repeated title block.

# ~ #

Jay,

Does the state in which you are licensed, have an
Architectural Review Board, or Engineering Review
Board ?......These types of Boards have established
guidelines \ rules \ regs. \ etc. that prohibit copyright
infringement.

# ~ #
Yes, NJ has all of those. I was going to look into it further but some comments here about it being typical has eased my mind. That said, I did ask the fellow to use their own title blocks and he didn't have a problem with it. Better safe than sorry, I do not know this firm at all. Thanks everyone!

It is probably best to not allow them to use your title block if they aren't a consultant to you. Using your title block could imply that you had a contractual relationship with them, and make it harder to get out of a lawsuit if they messed something up.

It is probably best to not allow them to use your title block if they aren't a consultant to you. Using your title block could imply that you had a contractual relationship with them, and make it harder to get out of a lawsuit if they messed something up.
Also Talk with your insurance company. If you allow it, it is implied consent. you could have some liability.

The "key" here is that you did not retain them. Owner accepts the liability for their work product. Suggest you send owner (and your carrier?) an acknowledgement letter.
Kansas City sky bridge collapse many years ago had a similar situation. Owner retained the SE (not the architect), SE reviewed shops and missed a detail change.
Arch's E & O saved his bacon.