• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can you combine ADA sleeping units into one building out of four buildings on the same site?

annmarie64

I have four buildings that are are part of a private development. All of the buildings are on the same site in California:

Building #1 is 2-stories of student housing (R-2) only
Building #2 is 3-stories - Mixed Used on the 1st floor and 2 stories of student housing (R-2)
Building #3 is 2-stories - Office (B) on the1st floor and student housing on the 2nd floor (R-2)
Building #4 is 3-stories - Mixed Used on the 1st floor and 2 stories of student housing (R-2)

Question #1 - Is it possible to put ALL of our required ADA units for ALL of the four buildings on the ground floor of Building #1 only?

Assuming Question #1 is possible:
Question #2 - Is it possible for me to delete the elevator in Building #1 since it's completely R-2 and will have all of the ADA units on the ground floor? We have stairs.
Question #3 - Is it possible for me to delete the elevator in Building #3 since Office is one the 1st floor and R-2 is on the 2nd floor? We have stairs.

What law or code requires you to provide visiting access to upper floors of private (non-government) housing?

It's a nice thing to do, but at $150K or more per elevator it could jack the rents up out of the range of the prospective tenants.

You want to deny visiting access by 1st flr tenants to those on the 2nd floor?

Is she denying accessible visitation access or just not providing accessible visitation access?
In the world of codes you are not denying anything you are not required to provide. Thus she would not be guilty of denying accessible visitation access if she is not required to provide an elevator. As an Architect you know you can be caught between what the owner wants, what the budget is and what the codes requires. I assume that may be the reason for her post and seeking options to present to her client. I agree that an elevator should be installed not just for the ease of accessibility visitation but also for all tenants benefits regardless if it is required or not.

DENY, verb transitive

1. To contradict; to gainsay; to declare a statement or position not to be true. We deny what another says, or we deny a proposition. We deny the truth of an assertion, or the assertion itself. The sense of this verb is often expressed by no or nay.
2. To refuse to grant; as, we asked for bread, and the man denied us.
3. Not to afford; to withhold.

PROVI'DE, verb transitive

1. To procure beforehand; to get, collect or make ready for future use; to prepare.
2. To furnish; to supply; followed by with.
3. To stipulate previously. The agreement provides that the party shall incur no loss.
4. To make a previous conditional stipulation.

To "deny" physical access is to discriminate based on ones condition, implies intent doesn't it?

You want to deny visiting access by 1st flr tenants to those on the 2nd floor?
OR
Why do you do want to delete the elevators in buildings #1 and #3?

The 1st question could put the poster on defense and can shut down someone right away. Whereas the 2nd question can open the dialogue to seek further information and approach the subject from not just an accessibility issue but maybe a best practice by pointing out the benefits for the upper level tenants, reduction of slip and fall lawsuits or insurance claims on stairs against the owner because an elevator is installed.

I think as members we should be looking at the OP and see how long they have been on the site and how many post they have made as we formulate our responses. We all have different passions and levels of knowledge when it comes to codes and the application thereof. Lets us share that knowledge and passions to help educate others about going above the code minimums and reasons why it may be beneficial to the owner.