• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can you do this?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Here is a drawing submitted for approval. What is wrong with this? What information would you need to know in order to approve this permit?

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 21.16.40.png

More than one service disconnect is permitted, NEC 230.71; however an indoor and an outdoor service disconnect does not meet the grouping requirements of NEC 230.72.

More than one service disconnect is permitted, NEC 230.71; however an indoor and an outdoor service disconnect does not meet the grouping requirements of NEC 230.72.

Bingo! That is one of a few issues I sent back and the main issue too.
Unless, of course he wants to feed the 60A from the interior panel through the meter base at which point we have another issue.....

Another issue...yes, as service conductors and feeders are not permitted in the same raceway.

Also, I think a set of load calculations are in order as there may be over 100 amps of load being carried on service conductors rated at 100 amps.

Another issue...yes, as service conductors and feeders are not permitted in the same raceway.

Also, I think a set of load calculations are in order as there may be over 100 amps of load being carried on service conductors rated at 100 amps.

Yes, yet another issue that they need to show

Yes, #4 is good for 85 amps. But without knowing what the connected loads are, the conductors on the line side of the meter can exceed 120 amps and is not permitted.

Is this residential or commercial? The 100 amp label on the meter cabinet stands for what exactly?

Last edited:
I hope the answer is residential.
I assumed it was residential.
If not residential, my previous posts are embarrassing.

This is a thread with a lot going on but it isn't getting enough attention.

Last edited:
Alrighty then....in your best estimate, is 100 amps sufficient?

Out of idle curiosity, do you normally receive such drawings for approval with residential services?

Alrighty then....in your best estimate, is 100 amps sufficient?

Out of idle curiosity, do you normally receive such drawings for approval with residential services?

Most of the time we do but missing was the load calc for the dwelling, panel schedules and a drawing that had more detailed info.

Most of the time we do but missing was the load calc for the dwelling, panel schedules and a drawing that had more detailed info.
We never get drawings or load calcs. What we get is a permit for a 200 amp panel. Now and then there's a 400 amp panel. Upon site visit, an inspector might request load calcs.

And that 100 amp service in your drawing.....is it too small based on the two main disconnects and that's why you want load calcs?

Getting information out of you is not that easy. You can have a lawyer present during this questioning.

We never get drawings or load calcs. What we get is a permit for a 200 amp panel. Now and then there's a 400 amp panel. Upon site visit, an inspector might request load calcs.

And that 100 amp service in your drawing.....is it too small based on the two main disconnects and that's why you want load calcs?

Getting information out of you is not that easy. You can have a lawyer present during this questioning.

It is simple, we require it and we get it or no permit. The service has to be the right size and we want to make sure it is. It is not uncommon for the load calc to result in a service upgrade.