• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Canadian UL Fire Rated Assembly in the US?

Mech

2015 IBC

Can a Canadian UL listed fire rating assembly be used in the US? Specifically, this is for CMU block to construct a 3 hour fire wall. I always assumed Canadian UL assemblies were for Canadian construction and UL was for US and other countries that accept UL.

Thanks

If approved by ahj

or

Alternative method

or

Kind of like accepting
Warnock Hersey or Southwest Research lab tests

If approved by ahj

Thanks cda. That is the conclusion I reached too and am storing it in my back pocket. GC can bid the job how he wants, but if the AHJ does not provide written approval, then he can build it a different way at his expense.

There are only 30 suppliers of UL-labeled concrete masonry units in the U.S. I never specify UL-labeled block because nearly all of the manufacturers are located east of the Mississippi River and I'm in Arizona--the manufacturer that is the furthest west is in Texas.

I always specify compliance using IBC Section 722.3 by providing the equivalent thickness per Table 722.3.2. You can get the equivalent thickness from the manufacturer or you can calculate it yourself if you know the dimensions the block unit.