• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Casement window protruding into stairway

MeasureTwice

Our contractor is proposing building an addition with a sliding door leading outside. That door will have a landing and stairs leading down to the ground. Alongside the landing/stairs is an existing casement window that swings outward. Is there a code issue with having a casement window protrude into a landing/stair area?

The existing casement window is the blue rectangle on the right

stairdetail2.jpg

Thanks!

How far does the casement protrude when the window is fully open? And what is the width of the landing?

Make the stairs wider, add a handrail n front of the window that limits how far it can open. You could open it partially for fresh air, but not enough to interfere with the steps.

Thank you for your suggestion but if I can't point to a code issue I'm not sure I can convince the contractor to go to any extra trouble.

1005.2 Minimum Width Based on Component
The minimum width, in inches (mm), of any means of egress components shall be not less than that specified for such component, elsewhere in this code.

Section 202 Definitions
MEANS OF EGRESS. A continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from any occupied portion of a building or structure to
a public way.

I'm not sure that the window protrusion is an issue.

That said, that window will definitely need to have safety glazing.
Yeah that was my first thought. They do make a film that can be applied to existing windows, or maybe a built-in planter box could solve it.

My other thought is why is the landing/stairway so small? Why not make it as wide as the slider?
Thank you for your suggestion but if I can't point to a code issue I'm not sure I can convince the contractor to go to any extra trouble.
You shouldn't have to "convince" the contractor, they work for you, not the other way around.

Fortunately, all of the glass in the casement window is tempered.

Yes, the contractor works for me but for the price we've agreed upon he only needs to supply a code compliant landing and stairs. I'm not trying to make him do extra work for free I just want what he does to be code compliant. The stairs lead to a patio so all we wanted was a way to get down (safely!).

The slider opening is near the house so the landing/stairs only needs to be in front of the opening (my understanding). Even if the landing/stairs are as wide as the slider (6') there is still an issue with someone tripping on the window if it is open.

This is not a means of egress if the door is a slider. A means of egress must have a swinging door. Make sure there is a door elsewhere (usually the front door) that complies as a means of egress.
If the slider opened on the other side and moved the stairway over in front of the opening or made it wider would take the problem away.

R311.7 requires stairways to have a minimum width of 36" above handrail height. You should be OK as long as there is 36" width with the window opened. It wouldn't hurt to put a second handrail to guide people away from the opened window.

R311.7 requires stairways to have a minimum width of 36" above handrail height. You should be OK as long as there is 36" width with the window opened. It wouldn't hurt to put a second handrail to guide people away from the opened window.
I agree with this... I think that the handrail guiding people away from the window is a great idea, but not required by code IMHO.