• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cast to PVC above hard ceiling (not plenum space) high-rise and fire-penetration

jar546

Forum Coordinator
PVC was put in without permit, now replaced with cast, except for the existing stub-down from the shower pan.

Thoughts on fire penetration protection...

CastPVCPenetration.jpg

Type II construction, fire-sprinklered, floor/ceiling slab between two R2 units = Type IIA 1 hr, Type IIB 0 hr. Table 508.4 R to R = No separation
So a 1-hr per FBC 420.3?

420.3 Horizontal Separation
Floor assemblies separating dwelling units in the same buildings, floor assemblies separating sleeping units in the same building and floor assemblies separating dwelling or sleeping units from other occupancies contiguous to them in the same building shall be constructed as horizontal assemblies in accordance with Section 711.

How about...

1650987577995.png
1. Floor or Wall Assembly — Min 3-1/2 in. (89 mm) thick reinforced lightweight or normal weight (100-150 pcf or 1600-2400 kg/m3) concrete floor or min 5 in. (127 mm) thick reinforced lightweight or normal weight concrete wall. Wall may also be constructed of any UL Classified Concrete Blocks *. Max diam of opening is 3-1/2 in. (89 mm).
See Concrete Blocks (CAZT) category in the Fire Resistance Directory for names of manufacturers.
2. Nonmetallic Pipe — One 2 in. (51 mm) diam (or smaller) Schedule 40 polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or SDR 17 chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC) pipe for use in closed (process or supply) piping systems. Pipe to be centered within the firestop system. A nom annular space of 9/16 in. (14 mm) is required within the firestop system. Pipe to be rigidly supported on both sides of floor or wall assembly.
3. Packing Material — Min 1 in. (25 mm) thickness of min 4.0 pcf (64 kg/m3) mineral wool insulation firmly packed into opening as a permanent form. Packing material to be recessed from top surface of floor or from both surfaces of wall as required to accommodate the required thickness of fill material.
4. Fill, Void or Cavity Material* — Sealant —Min 2 in. (51 mm) thickness of fill material applied within the annulus, flush with top surface of floor or with both surfaces of wall.
HILTI CONSTRUCTION CHEMICALS, DIV OF HILTI INC — FS-ONE Sealant or FS-ONE MAX Intumescent Sealant.

Personally, I would seal the bottom temporarily and fill the annular space with non-shrink grout. I don't have a UL system for that, but it'll definitely work for a 1 hour rating...

The penetrant was swapped for PVC....It looks like a cast in collar, but not sure what it is good for...Big difference in PVC melting and cast....

And dont forget... Pipe to be rigidly supported on both sides of floor or wall assembly.

At least we should give someone an Atta Boy for the use of UL 181 A/P tape on the fiber glass duct board HVAC Duct.
Nice to see someone who saved 50 cents a roll by using the "regular Stuff"

Personally, I would seal the bottom temporarily and fill the annular space with non-shrink grout. I don't have a UL system for that, but it'll definitely work for a 1 hour rating...
You are my kind of Practical Thinker!

I'll remember your Insight! Several layers could "Eat the PVC Pipe, so it would not even show

There was also something about not more than (I think) 3 stories in light frame wood construction. Some thoughts about the wood shrinking and putting stress on the pipes. Ca still has a restriction
Subsection 701.2(2) of the California Plumbing Code, 2019 Edition, is hereby added to read in its entirety as follows:

701.2(2) Drainage Piping. ABS and PVC DWV piping installations above ground shall be limited to residential construction, not more than two (2) stories in height.

There was also something about not more than (I think) 3 stories in light frame wood construction. Some thoughts about the wood shrinking and putting stress on the pipes. Ca still has a restriction
Subsection 701.2(2) of the California Plumbing Code, 2019 Edition, is hereby added to read in its entirety as follows:

701.2(2) Drainage Piping. ABS and PVC DWV piping installations above ground shall be limited to residential construction, not more than two (2) stories in height.
Massachusetts which uses a really old UPC base has that restriction.....