• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ceiling fan fire

OnTheCouch

Hi, all, and thanks so much for spending your time answering questions for clueless folks like me!

My problem is this: my ceiling fan is shooting out sparks and smoke. Landlord won't fix it. I'm looking for a way to force his hand, and am hoping that there is some type of fire code violation taking place that I can leverage to do so.

My city, Austin Texas, has adopted the 2015 IFC with some local amendments.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.

Send a certified letter to the landlord stating the problem and requesting it be fixed.

Also ::

Austin should have a “ code / property engircement” Dept

Put a request into them to look at the fan.

They may even have a department that strickly deals with apartment inspections.

If that does not work contact the fire marshal’s office to come look at it.

Is this a larger complex?? Say over 20 units??

Is it owned by one person or a corporation ??

Under Texas law you can have it fixed and deduct it from the rent after you give written notice and allow a reasonable time for the landlord to correct the problem.

https://www.texastenant.org/repairs.html
(click on the numbers and it will link you to the exact verbiage)

His idea of fixing it might be to just remove the fan and not replace it since nothing in the codes requires ceiling fans be installed.

Large complex - maybe 300 units? It's owned by a large corporation.

This complex has a history of catastrophic fires - google "christmas day fire austin" and you'll see just one of them, so you'd think they would take problems like this more seriously. Who knows, though: I recognize that it's possible it's not as dangerous as it seems to me.

I considered the repair and deduct option, but that will only solve this one problem. My ultimate goal is to get this place on the City's radar and force them to do something about years and years of neglect. I am fully aware that code enforcement will do exactly nothing, but I was hoping the fire marshal had more teeth.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Under Texas law you can have it fixed and deduct it from the rent after you give written notice and allow a reasonable time for the landlord to correct the problem.

https://www.texastenant.org/repairs.html
(click on the numbers and it will link you to the exact verbiage)

His idea of fixing it might be to just remove the fan and not replace it since nothing in the codes requires ceiling fans be installed.

That assumes that the room has a window and a fan.

Large complex - maybe 300 units? It's owned by a large corporation.

This complex has a history of catastrophic fires - google "christmas day fire austin" and you'll see just one of them, so you'd think they would take problems like this more seriously. Who knows, though: I recognize that it's possible it's not as dangerous as it seems to me.

I considered the repair and deduct option, but that will only solve this one problem. My ultimate goal is to get this place on the City's radar and force them to do something about years and years of neglect. I am fully aware that code enforcement will do exactly nothing, but I was hoping the fire marshal had more teeth.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

One of my favorite go to, is the media, they always need a story, especially one with history.

Or just send emails to every high official in the city, till you get someone's attention. I like to start with the city manager and mayor!!!!

Now the other thing is how soon is your lease up?

Lease is up the end of September and I have every intention of getting out at that time. That will solve my problem, but I have a lot of neighbors who are being neglected, as well and I'd like to make a stand on their behalf. Especially considering that, after I'm gone, the landlord won't be able to hurt me any more.

Just wondering if you wanted to stay, or if they would help you out the door, if you complained to much.

Sounds like call the media and let them have a story.

Or go online and put in a daily complaint to code enforcement, that sometimes gets their attention.

Housing in Substandard Condition
Landlords are obligated to maintain their rental properties to the minimum standards set by the Uniform Housing Code and the Dangerous Building Code. Examples of violations include heating problems, plumbing problems, electrical problems, lack of weather protection and structural hazards.
This is from the site http://austintexas.gov/page/common-code-violations. go to the site it looks to me like it would be a IPMC violation if they have adopted it. In that case get ahold of the housing inspector. May be called another name out there here it's called environmental inspector. but I would contact the city and talk to code enforcement they can steer you in the right direction.