• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ceiling tiles questions...

Marshal Chris

Silver Member
Hello all!

I've been tasked to research the following issue..
A local educational facility has allowed students to draw/paint on ceiling tiles.

What is your take on this and code sections to follow up on?

TIA

No problem

At least they are not doing it on the walls

If the building is sprinkled, make sure they are not removed for long periods of time and do get put back properly.

Not a rated assembly although I don't know that would matter. Painting of firewalls occurs every day doesn't it?

The building is sprinklered and this is in the main corridor, i left that out.

cda, while I may agree with you, I'm looking for info to back it up or refute it, by way of code...

Do not think you will find any code, except the decorations in corridor and classroom, which would not apply unless they are attaching stuff to the tiles.

Exception 1??

803.1 General.

The provisions of this section shall limit the allowable fire performance and smoke development of interior wall and ceiling finishes and interior wall and ceiling trim in existing buildings based on location and occupancy classification. Interior wall and ceiling finishes shall be classified in accordance with Section 803 of the International Building Code. Such materials shall be grouped in accordance with ASTM E 84, as indicated in Section 803.1.1, or in accordance with NFPA 286, as indicated in Section 803.1.2.

Exceptions:

1. 1.Materials having a thickness less than 0.036 inch (0.9 mm) applied directly to the surface of walls and ceilings.

2. 2.Exposed portions of structural members complying with the requirements of buildings of Type IV construction in accordance with the International Building Code shall not be subject to interior finish requirements.

We have the similar language to what CDA provided here for that.

Firewalls and fire separations are usually made of materials that are designed to be painted. Ceiling tiles generally leave the factory finished and are typically not painted on site. Adding paint to what is a proprietary tested system adds a variable not accounted for in the testing process. The interaction of the chemicals over time and the long term affect of the paint added is also untested.

Painting of the tiles should not effect the flame spread. it's like painting a fire wall, BUT;
Painting of the tiles can effect the acoustics of the tile. Paint can fill /block the holes that is used for sound reduction and can cause you to lose your sound reduction of the tile.

Painting of the tiles should not effect the flame spread. it's like paining a fire wall, BUT;
Painting of the tiles can effect the acoustics of the tile. Paint can fill /block the holes that is used for sound reduction and can cause you to lose your sound reduction of the tile.
That's true. But the difference might be unnoticeable in most cases.

If it's an older school I would have them check for asbestos and/or lead paint. Base that decision on the age of the building.

Exception 1??

803.1 General.

The provisions of this section shall limit the allowable fire performance and smoke development of interior wall and ceiling finishes and interior wall and ceiling trim in existing buildings based on location and occupancy classification. Interior wall and ceiling finishes shall be classified in accordance with Section 803 of the International Building Code. Such materials shall be grouped in accordance with ASTM E 84, as indicated in Section 803.1.1, or in accordance with NFPA 286, as indicated in Section 803.1.2.

Exceptions: https://profypainter.com/can-you-paint-ceiling-tiles/

1. 1.Materials having a thickness less than 0.036 inch (0.9 mm) applied directly to the surface of walls and ceilings.

2. 2.Exposed portions of structural members complying with the requirements of buildings of Type IV construction in accordance with the International Building Code shall not be subject to interior finish requirements.
Well, I guess Armstrong no longer makes black ceiling tiles for suspended ceilings. Has anybody had any luck painting these? Did you use standard latex paint or spray paint? Thanks in advance.

I think someone does but to maintain most of the acoustical properties, it needs to be a non-bridging paint. I've been in the room when discussed between acoustical consultant and paint contractor, but not my expertise. Flat black latex - heavy in pva (not 100%,) acrylic - diluted 50% - sprayed on. Can you get black grid? I think you'd have to paint that separately.

But this project sounds like there might be an acoustical consultant (double gyp and resilient hangers?) and if so ask them. If you're really stuck, I know one I can ask - former "corporate acoustician" for USG. PM me if I can help.

Painting of the tiles should not effect the flame spread. it's like paining a fire wall, BUT;
Should read PAINTING, not Paining