• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Change of Occupancy Business to Residential

KLSRC

Hi everyone. Our village has adopted the 2018 ICC library of codes. We have an existing structure that was a model home from the 70's. It was never used as a home and has been used as an office for various businesses since the housing development was finished. The building basically looks like any other house in the neighborhood. The interior is generally consistent with a house that has had several rooms converted to accurate meetings and other business functions. The building has a fire alarm, no sprinkler system, a partial kitchen (sink and refrigerator, no oven), and partial bathroom (toilet and sink, no tub or shower).

The IEBC would classify this as a change of occupancy and based on what I am reading, I believe that the following work will be required for occupancy following the change of occupancy:

-Add a fire sprinkler system throughout per Section 1004.1 of the IEBC and Section R313.2

-Verify existing means of egress complies with Section 1005.1 of the IEBC.

-Provide minimum required electrical outlets per Section 1007.4 of the IEBC...24/48 spacing in kitchen and 6/12 spacing elsewhere.

-Provide adequate exhaust for kitchen and bathroom mechanical systems per Section 1008.1 of the IEBC.

-Provide minimum plumbing fixtures required in bathroom per Section 1009.1 of the IEBC

-Provide minimum required light and ventilation per Section 1010.1 of the IEBC

Any additional thoughts? I know some interpretation is needed as the jump from the IEBC to the IRC isn't very clear. Just looking for any feedback from someone who has experience doing something similar.

I would use the IEBC or you are gutting it to the studs and ripping out all of the windows to insulate/meet to current energy code....And all of the wiring updates....