• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Change of Use, Exiting and Accessibility

UCinCAT

*Newbie post*

Hello all.

First timer here.

I'm looking for thoughts on building code / accessibility requirements for the following:

Existing residence is being considered for a renovation to a Business Use, in this case, an office use.

The existing structure is a ranch style home with a full basement below grade. Grade level floor area = approx 3300 s.f. ; basement floor area = 3300 s.f.

Grade level has (2) existing exits.

Basement does not have a direct exit to grade, ie no walk-out or escape wells. Only one stair from the floor above.

Grade level plan seems straight forward enough to renovate and provide neccessary accessibilty upgrades. Existing corridor widths are in compliance, and existing toilet rooms could be easily upgraded. Exterior improvements would include a ramp, or ramps for entry/exit to building.

The renovation to the basement providing office spaces is where things get cloudy for me, specifically, the exiting requirements from the level below grade and the accessibility requirements for access to this area.

My assumption is that a second means of egress to grade level is needed and that ADA does not require an elevator for a building under three stories.

What are the accessibility requirements for the space below grade? Is the second means of egress required to be a ramp? Can area of refuge be applied?

If similar accessible accommodations are provided on the grade level and basemet level, i.e. accessible toilet rooms, conference areas on both levels, is accessible access to the basement level required?

I assume disproportionality may figure into this as well.

Comments on this appreciated.

Thanks in advance for help/advice.

UCinCAT welcome to the forum. It would be beneficial to provide us with the state and codes adopted as applicable.

2009 section 3411.6 does not require an accessible means of egress in accordance with Chapter 10. See 3411.8 where an accessible route shall be provided when stairs are added.

The answer to the last question is addressed in section 3411.3

May want to repost your question in the "Accessibility" thread for better exposure.

Francis

A change of use will be difficult....as an accessible route is most likely required at least to the employee work areas....over 3000 ft makes it tough to get out of....

Welcome

Are they going to sprinkle the basement or entire building?

How did you find us ?

Do you mind saying what you do

3411.4.2 Complete change of occupancy.

Where an entire building undergoes a change of occupancy, it shall comply with Section 3411.4.1 and shall have all of the following accessible features:

1. At least one accessible building entrance.

2. At least one accessible route from an accessible building entrance to primary function areas.

3. Signage complying with Section 1110.

4. Accessible parking, where parking is being provided.

5. At least one accessible passenger loading zone, when loading zones are provided.

6. At least one accessible route connecting accessible parking and accessible passenger loading zones to an accessible entrance.

Where it is technically infeasible to comply with the new construction standards for any of these requirements for a change of group or occupancy, the above items shall conform to the requirements to the maximum extent technically feasible.

Exception: The accessible features listed in Items 1 through 6 are not required for an accessible route to Type B units.

Francis Vineyard said:
May want to repost your question in the "Accessibility" thread for better exposure.
Sorry about posting to the Welcome Forum.

Message has been reposted to the appropriate forum.

Sorry for the cross post.

cda said:
WelcomeAre they going to sprinkle the basement or entire building?

How did you find us ?

Do you mind saying what you do
Sprinkler system is not part of the existing construction.

I don't anticipate that the building will be sprinklered for the new use.

Found the forum earlier this year researching another Code interpretation.

Been lurking for a while.

Have to look thought 1500 basement gets sprinkler

With exceptions

Not versed on existing buildings

Last edited by a moderator: