• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chicago Building Code Exemptions

Bigjimmy

Hi there-

New guy in the house. I am an electrical engineer that specializes in the design and installation of signal and train control systems. I worked for the Chicago Transit Authority for many years in their signal/TC department and now work as a consulting engineer for a company that provides design services to the CTA.

The NEC lists a number of excluded types of construction among which are the facilities associated with train control or signal houses. We are designing some new equipment houses for the CTA and recently a coworker suggested that our designs would need to comply with the City of Chicago Building Codes.

These facilities are nothing more than electrical equipment houses, typically pre-fabricated, with no water/sewer connections and limited mechanical heating/cooling systems. They are largely uninhabited (except for intermittent occupation during maintenance functions or for emergencies) and are not accessible.

I have personally supervised the installation and commissioning of upwards of 50-60 houses on the CTA's property. In not one instance did I ever see any sort of city inspector and as far as I know, the installation contractors did not obtain permits for installation of the houses (except where things like closures of expressways or city streets were required) and no certificates of occupancy were ever issued.

Assuming that the City of Chicago building code has no authority over these types of installations, could some please cite a reference to the City's code that substantiates this?

Thanks!

J

Depends

Suggest you call Chicago city direct and answer the question

Worked in two cities with substantial railroad and what I remember is they are kind of their own country when it is between the rails and near the rails

For the rail projects I have worked on, if the structure is in the railroad right-away, permits are not required. I don't know if this is always the case.

The City of Chicago Building Department most likely does not have jurisdiction. The CTA being a separate governed agency has the authority to adopt codes and administer the construction necessary to provide transportation and the associated infrastructure. From the description given in the OP, the structures may be buildings but are not normally occupied and IMO are closer to equipment than building so the normal building code provisions for occupancy do not apply. Unless the CTA has adopted a building construction code for these type of structures, there is no regulation other than the electrical and underground.