• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chipping out post-tension slabs

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I am starting to see a lot of post-tension slabs being chipped out in order to be able to get the LED drivers in and out for these ceiling high-hats. I now have to be pro-active as many are furring out the ceilings to get the high-hats in. Thoughts? Would you allow this on a post tension slab?

IMG_5844.JPG

I don't think so.
Cutting into PT slabs and floors happen all the time. As e hilton stated, you need to have ground penetrating radar to determine where the cables are (and any other embedded items such as conduit) before drilling or cutting. No drilling or cutting can happen unless the structural engineer has reviewed the work, done the calculations, and given his/her approval.

I have no experience with GPR or x-ray. Using the example of a retaining wall I wonder if the GPR works for that and how detailed it will be. Can the size of rebar be determined?

Ice, technology is a wonderful thing up to a point. Have you used drones yet? Now think of LIDAR?

The advantage to gpr is that it does not require “film” on the other side to catch the xrays.