• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Circumventing the Building Code

Accessory building < 120 sq. ft. no permit req'd.
Consider Alaska or a house boat on a NY lake? Tree house?
A permit may not be required if area < 120 SF but it must still comply with the code.
That wouldn't matter anyway the section says its exempt from requiring a permit for accessory structures <120 sq. ft (in Rhode Island where I'm from they actually amend that section to 64 sq. ft. or less) ...in order for it to be considered an accessory structure to be exempt from the permit requirements he would first need a principal structure or use.

That wouldn't matter anyway the section says its exempt from requiring a permit for accessory structures <120 sq. ft (in Rhode Island where I'm from they actually amend that section to 64 sq. ft. or less) ...in order for it to be considered an accessory structure to be exempt from the permit requirements he would first need a principal structure or use.
AND NY AMENDED IT OUT OF THEIR CODE, THAT SECTION IS NOT IN THE NY CODE, SEE LINK I PROVIDED.
AND WE DONT KNOW IT IS AN ACCESSORY STRUCTURE.