• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Closer required for panic hardware?

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
An existing old barn is being converted to a restaurant.
Because they are studding the inside of the exterior walls the doors will be recessed over 8" and will not meet the maneuvering clearance of 12" required for push side of the door with a latch and closer.

The print requires a closer on the doors but they are not fire rated. The doors will have panic hardware. I never saw a door with panic hardware without a closer but can you do it? I don't think the code requires it but does the manufacturer of the panic hardware require a closer?

Closers are required on exterior doors by energy code - if this project would be regulated by the energy conservation code, then i would say a closer is required.

An existing old barn is being converted to a restaurant.
Because they are studding the inside of the exterior walls the doors will be recessed over 8" and will not meet the maneuvering clearance of 12" required for push side of the door with a latch and closer.

The print requires a closer on the doors but they are not fire rated. The doors will have panic hardware. I never saw a door with panic hardware without a closer but can you do it? I don't think the code requires it but does the manufacturer of the panic hardware require a closer?

The closer isn't required by the model codes (except the energy code) or by the manufacturer, but the door won't function properly and someone will probably get hurt. When we see a door with panic hardware - or even just a typical exterior door - we automatically push harder on the door. Without the closer to control the door, it will fly open and likely bounce back. I would recommend using a custom frame that will move the door a little toward the push side and reduce the recess so it is below 8 inches.

Not to get too far off subject here but, I thought that the IECC only required self-closing exterior doors where a vestibule was required. Section C402.5.7 2015 IECC.

GPE.

I didn't think about the energy code. But GPE is right, looks like closer is only required for vestibules in the code. we are using 2009 IECC.

LGreen, I think you are right but I can't make them put on a closer unless required by code or manufacturer. I would guess that they will put a closer on after the final inspection so they won't need the 12" clearance.
Also they will need to install a accessible handle on the inside of the door to close it. Any suggestions?

I always wondered how someone in a wheel chair can close a door that is all the way open when they are going through a door that swings the opposite way they are traveling. I seems to be that it would be very difficult. The code does not address this.

I didn't think about the energy code. But GPE is right, looks like closer is only required for vestibules in the code. we are using 2009 IECC.

LGreen, I think you are right but I can't make them put on a closer unless required by code or manufacturer. I would guess that they will put a closer on after the final inspection so they won't need the 12" clearance.
Also they will need to install a accessible handle on the inside of the door to close it. Any suggestions?

I'm sure they'll put a closer on at some point - hopefully before the door bashes someone in the face. For the handle on the inside, they can use any open door pull that has 1 1/2 inches of clearance behind it and is tall enough for someone to slip their hand through.

another option, although not mandated by the code would be to install fully automatic door. This way, door maneuvering clearances are not applicable, and the 12" push side, or the 8" setback from the face of the door are not an issue.