• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Coat closet door swing overlaps with entry door swing

pathanay

I'm adding a bathroom and coat closet to my house and the new coat closet door's swing overlaps with the entry door swing.

In practice I don't think it's an issue. But does it violate California Residential Code?

I'm trying to see if I can avoid a pocket door.

Thanks
gfXJN1G.png

I am not aware of any code that would prohibit that.

R311.2 Egress door. Not less than one egress door shall be provided for each dwelling unit. The egress door shall be side-hinged, and shall provide a clear width of not less than 32 inches where measured between the face of the door and the stop, with the door open 90 degrees. The clear height of the door opening shall be not less than 78 inches in height measured from the top of the threshold to the bottom of the stop. Other doors shall not be required to comply with these minimum dimensions. Egress doors shall be readily openable from inside the dwelling without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort.

Last edited:
Closet door would normally be closed

Put some spring hinges on it, to assure

Or you could also use a barn door slider as we did on our bathroom as it opened up clear floor area.
You have the wall area and it is often being done in hotel retrofits.

Personally I'd hinge it on the other side so that if it is open and you open the entry door, it will close the closet door.
Thank you. This is a good idea. One issue is that I wanted to reuse the door from the existing (smaller) closet in that location. Doors are cheap but I'm not sure I'll be able to find the same style since it's an older house and the doors all match each other. But perhaps that shouldn't deter me from the better design choice.
Or you could also use a barn door slider as we did on our bathroom as it opened up clear floor area.
You have the wall area and it is often being done in hotel retrofits.
Also a great idea. Thank you.

Thank you. This is a good idea. One issue is that I wanted to reuse the door for the existing (smaller) closet in that location. Doors are cheap but I'm not sure I'll be able to find the same style since it's an older house and the doors all match each other. But perhaps that shouldn't deter me from the better design choice.
Also a great idea. Thank you.
We used the original door for just that reason, a 1905!

You have to see it to appreciate it. The doors are planks overlaid with "Z" boards with strap hinges. The house is framed with board and batten interior walls 9' high (clear redwood) some covered with Buffalo board (similar to Hemosote).