• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Code Checks & Quick Card

jthorn912

Hey Guys, newly trained Inspector wondering if anyone knows the best quick cards and code checks on all residential inspection.
Thanks!

Welcome

Not my area give it a few days for responses.

Whenever you have specific question ask away.

Do you work for a city??

Not into IRC,,, but steve writes good books, and even though not the latest or the west coast version,,,, Good book to have

Check different sites for different prices,,, the one above is 2012 version

I have purchased a few of the ICC Code Check folders. They are handy for some instances where you are trying to find a code section. One must be careful when inspecting from a checklist as this tends to cause tunnel vision.

Recently, an inspector that performs field inspections complained about writing the same corrections over and over, all day long.

I decided to create a checklist of the most frequent violations associated with electric service and sub-panels. The list will have numbered violations and the inspector will circle the numbers and hand the customer the checklist along with a violation notice that lists the numbers that were circled on the checklist.

Such a checklist will have value in my locale and probably not elsewhere. The reason is that an inspector here might inspect four and more electric panels every day and never see the same contractor twice. The expertise level is low and a dozen corrections on a 200 amp service upgrade is not unusual. Do that four times in a morning along with another thirty corrections for the rest of the days work and it gets tiresome. Hand cramps aside it is boring.

The office manager got wind of it and now has an interest in providing the checklist to all applicants when a permit is obtained for a panel. A list to give to an applicant is different than a list of corrections …. written with a different objective. The manager wants the chief electrical engineer to review my work. The thing is, I did this for me and another inspector so I’m probably going to be open to constraints.

Providing the list to applicants will create additional work for the office personnel. They will be asked questions that they should not answer. I envision barely literate individuals demanding an explanation of, not just the what but also the why, of each item on the list. When told that the list is not exhaustive the obvious question will be, what else could be wrong? They’ll get tired of that real quick. I have been working on it sporadically for a few days and the list has reached thirty items.

Last edited:
I have purchased a few of the ICC Code Check folders. They are handy for some instances where you are trying to find a code section. One must be careful when inspecting from a checklist as this tends to cause tunnel vision.

Recently, an inspector that performs field inspections complained about writing the same corrections over and over, all day long.

I decided to create a checklist of the most frequent violations associated with electric service and sub-panels. The list will have numbered violations and the inspector will circle the numbers and hand the customer the checklist along with a violation notice that lists the numbers that were circled on the checklist.

Such a checklist will have value in my locale and probably not elsewhere. The reason is that an inspector here might inspect four and more electric panels every day and never see the same contractor twice. The expertise level is low and a dozen corrections on a 200 amp service upgrade is not unusual. Do that four times in a morning along with another thirty corrections for the rest of the days work and it gets tiresome. Hand cramps aside it is boring.

The office manager got wind of it and now wants to provide the checklist to all applicants when a permit is obtained for a panel. I am not convinced that it is a good idea but if that's what it takes to get to use it at all, so be it. I have been working on it sporadically for a few days and the list has reached thirty items.

Sounds like a good idea to the contractor

At least if they read it, gives them an idea of what you be looking for

gives them an idea of what you be looking for
That concept is what's wrong with the industry. Contractors will tailor an installation to suit the inspector. Many of them, upon hearing what you are looking for, have what we would call, an epiphany. Too many inspectors are just not aware when there. Youve heard the saying: There's no aware there.

What you get is a crap shoot. Thirty items is in the weeds territory for many that read it....and it's all, every last word of it, damned simple stuff. Oh, and I'm just getting started.

Last edited:
That concept is what's wrong with the industry. Contractors will tailor an installation to suit the inspector. Many of them, upon hearing what you are looking for, have what we would call, an epiphany. Too many inspectors are just not aware when there. Youve heard the saying: There's no aware there.

What you get is a crap shoot. Thirty items is in the weeds territory for many that read it....and it's all, every last word of it, damned simple stuff. Oh, and I'm just getting started.

I am not saying do not go pass the checklist, also needs to meet code and the inspector should also apply the entire book.

If keep seeing repeat violations, I see no problem giving out a list of those.