• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Codes

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Just a thought:

Is there any way you could bring back one of the old model codes like the Uniform Building Code? Are those boys now with the ICC?

Were there agreements made to eliminate the SBC and the UBC when it became the ICC that prevents there reemergence?

Curious.

You could, If it is not a violation of state code. BUT
Most insurance companies and some lenders won't cover you or lend on your project.
Insurance rates will rise, with older codes.

It would be uphill battle

More than likely there were merge agreements.

You can write a code book!!!

Considering they where all copyright protected documents and my WAG would be ICC now owns the copyright to all of the legacy codes I would say it "ain't ever goin to happen"

All it takes is money. If you have the money, and the time, to write a code that differs enough to avoid copyright claims from whatever legacy code you want to "copy", you could put an organization together to promulgate new code(s) tomorrow. ICC has all the money and will fight you like a dog, so be ready for that.

I wish somebody with means would do it. Competition is healthy, and ICC has none. If cities/building officials had another option, some of the nonsense we see getting in to the I-codes today would likely go away.

All it takes is money. If you have the money, and the time, to write a code that differs enough to avoid copyright claims from whatever legacy code you want to "copy", you could put an organization together to promulgate new code(s) tomorrow. ICC has all the money and will fight you like a dog, so be ready for that.

I wish somebody with means would do it. Competition is healthy, and ICC has none. If cities/building officials had another option, some of the nonsense we see getting in to the I-codes today would likely go away.
NFPA tried it. NFPA 5000 Building Construction and Safety Code.
Few wanted to adopt it. NFPA got Sued.
It failed.

Well in the old days, there were several codes USA wide,

And none of them seemed to want to take over the USA or world.

I see that some of you are using the Uniform Plumbing Code and not the IPC, whats the reasoning behind that?

Why not the IPC and IMC?

Advantages vs disadvantages?

Plumbers not wanting to change codes and therefore fight it every time new codes are being adopted. Happening right now in my state as we go to the 2018 editions.

The reason I got was plumbers in the the state been using UPC & UMC for so long, would be to hard to change to ICC.