• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cold Weather Concrete?

Darren Emery

Wondering if anyone has written guidelines for cold weather concrete pours? We have an adminstratively adopted requirement of 28 deg. and rising for any pour.

We are beginning to get contractors asking for special permission to pour lower than this, based upon ACI 306. Anyone have experience with 306?

i did have a handout from ACI or elsewhere, can't put my fingers on it right now..might be at home..it should be online somewhere...one for concrete, one for masonry...different protection for different temps...

I would recommend incorporating the recommendations of ACI 306 by reference into your code rather than rewriting it from scratch.

If an engineer designed the foundation or the IBC was used for design then look to ACI 318, which is referenced from the IBC. ACI 318 provides criteria for cold and hot weather concreting.

ACI 306 is a guide and ACI says that it is not enforcable. ACI 306.1 is a specification appropriate for reference from your local ordinance.

I have a booklet from 1970 called "Recommended Practices for Cold Weather Masonry Construction". It was published by the International Masonry Industry All Weather Council. It really spells out what to do at different temperatures and wind conditions. I have no address or phone for the orginization, and obviously no e-mail address. See if the National Concrete and Masonry Association still exists and has a web site. This is one of the sponsors of this booklet. Post again if you can't find them. I'll figure some way to get you a copy.

Joe

Guidelines may be useful for the individual trying to do a good job but in general they are not enforcable. Thus you need some objective criteria.

Since we are talking about a commercial occupancy and the IBC was used the concrete is likely subject to the special inspection requirements. Table 1704.4 of the 2009 IBC requires "Inspection for maintenance of specified curing temperature and techniques." Thus means that somebody will verify that key elements of the cold weather measures are being conformed to.