• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Combined mechanical / electrical room

Utakecare2019

We have a community college renovation project that has a utility basement which basically is just a big mechanical / electrical room. This room connects to the campus central plant by tunnels. In this mech/elec room, there are several transformers. One of them is substation type, the others are dry type. On mechanical side, there is chillers, compressors in this room. There is no sprinkler system in this building.
My questions are:
1. Are they allowed to be in the same room? Won't electrical especially transformer need to be in its own room?
2. Should the room be fire rated?
3. ventilation wise, are there special requirements?
Being an architect, I am not so familiar with the electrical or mechanical code. If you could point out any code section, it will be appreciated. This is in California.
Thanks
UTC

So is all this existing ??

Or are they going to add all this?

What is the renovation

Thanks CDA. Why did you leave SD?
The building is existing and the room is existing. Equipments are all new. The renovation is pretty much leaving the shell and stairs. All the interior are demo-ed for new. I think they should bring everything up to code. I am just no so familiar with Electrical/Mechanical code but the space feels suspicious from fire life safety point of view.

I would normally respond to questions like this but since it is in California, I will refrain as I am not familiar with all of their codes. California seems to be its own animal with codes.

Thanks CDA. Why did you leave SD?
The building is existing and the room is existing. Equipments are all new. The renovation is pretty much leaving the shell and stairs. All the interior are demo-ed for new. I think they should bring everything up to code. I am just no so familiar with Electrical/Mechanical code but the space feels suspicious from fire life safety point of view.

A long job search journey. I still have family in S.D. area, but for me just to crowded.

concrete floors, walls and ceiling would likely be a rated area just because of the construction. look at section 509 for Incidental Uses and table 509.
Electrical code: if over 1000 volts see NFPA 70 Article 110 and specifically 110.31 #5 transformers which sends you to part III of article 450 and if you meet those conditions it is 3 hour construction. If this is a combined mechanical and electrical room I would bet it is not a dedicated electrical vault for transformers.