• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial Conduit Requirements

drwiltse77

I need some help as I am not as up on the NEC as I should be. I have a contractor telling me that he can install wiring in a new Institutional occupancy that is not protected by conduit. The commercial plans examiner for the Town has asked me for my opinion. Can anyone point me to the right code section in the NEC where wiring is required to be in conduit, or is this contractor correct? Help please....

welcome

what kind of institutional???

hospital

nursing home

jail

assisted living wood const???

how many floors and type of const???

what year NEC are you under

cda said:
welcomewhat kind of institutional???

hospital

nursing home

jail

assisted living wood const???

how many floors and type of const???

what year NEC are you under
Assisted living / nursing home with wood construction. Single story.

Not nec much either

But may be legal

This is the building plans examiner and not fire??

Just give the thread a little time and you will get an answer

Is there an electrician in the house??

Everyone gone for the 4th already???

What kind of wiring is he installing. MC is not in conduit..... if he is talking about thhn then it must be in conduit. It may be that NM is allowed in the structure but that would be a building code as to what type of structure the building is classified as. Look at 334.10

Art. 334.10 allows NM in Type V construction however the nm is not allowed in drop ceilings-- 334.12(A)(2)

Builder Bob said:
The problem with NM cable is the ability to have insulated equipment groundung conductor as required for health care areas.Art 517.13(B)
just wonder if total assisted living, seems like I have seen wire ran with out conduit

Assisted living is not considered a health care facility and as such would not have to meet NEC 517 but a nursing home is a health care facility.

From NEC

Health Care Facilities. Buildings or portions of buildings in which medical, dental, psychiatric, nursing, obstetrical,

or surgical care are provided. Health care facilities include, but are not limited to, hospitals, nursing homes,

limited care facilities, clinics, medical and dental offices, and ambulatory care centers, whether permanent or movable.

cda said:
just wonder if total assisted living, seems like I have seen wire ran with out conduit
Can't have NM in a health care facility. No insulated ground. Other cable types are allowed if meeting the criteria of 517.13. All wiring must be in metal encased armor or conduit suitable and the conduit systems or armor must be listed as suitable as being equipment ground per 250.118. No PVC allowed. Not all MC cable is suitable for this purpose either. You've got to check the listing on the box. See 225.118 (10).

BSSTG