• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial Overlay Parking

AntAce95

Hello,

We are currently doing some zoning analysis on a potential new Mixed-Use Residential/Commercial bldg in NYC and have a quick question about Parking. As per codes; for Residential we will need to provide ~28 off-street parking spaces for residents, and for our commercial overlay we need ~8. Our question is, does the 8 required parking for Commercial ADD into the 28 ( for a total of 36 ), or are the 8 Commercial parking included within the 28 ( so there will be 20 Residential parking and 8 Commercial ).

Thanks in advance,

Welcome

As always you have to read exactly how the ordinance/ test question reads.

I am thinking the answer is B, total of both.

Because you could have 28 residents there and 8 Starbucks customers there at the same time.

Wait and see what others say.

@ ~ @ ~ @

AntAce95,

Also, ...Welcome to The Building Code Forum ! :cool:

I agree with
** cda **.......You will need to obtain
an official written response from NYC with their
interpretation of any Ordinances........That said,
IMO, ...I think that there would be 28 dedicated
Residential and 8 dedicated Commercial ( total
of 36 ).

@ ~ @ ~ @

I agree, at the end of the day, I should ask DOB for their interpretation. I was hoping for the 2nd option; where its 20 res. and 8 com. But I dream ...

If you are required to provide 28 spaces for residents, it is my understanding that those 28 are stand-alone from any other spaces.