• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial Sauna Requirements

ihavefaith

Going to add some saunas in a building. They will be 2 person saunas, two rooms with one sauna in each. Should they both be ada compliant? I called one place that makes them, they said that they don't have to be as long as the are a modularly assembled, but a fixed structure I assume is required to be ada.

Any help appreciated.

Going to add some saunas in a building. They will be 2 person saunas, two rooms with one sauna in each. Should they both be ada compliant? I called one place that makes them, they said that they don't have to be as long as the are a modularly assembled, but a fixed structure I assume is required to be ada.

Any help appreciated.

interesting. We had a new sauna use business go in,, not sure if any were accessible ??

I can't say for sure, but I've been told that no matter what you present, a path to it shall be accessible.... Installing saunas as a business proposition would/should present an opportunity for a Casp opinion….oh but you’re from Texas.

Last edited:
1109.6 Saunas and steam rooms. Where provided, saunas
and steam rooms shall be accessible.
Exception: Where saunas or steam rooms are clustered at
a single location, at least 5 percent of the saunas and steam
rooms, but not less than one, of each type in each cluster
shall be accessible.

1109.6 Saunas and steam rooms. Where provided, saunas
and steam rooms shall be accessible.
Exception: Where saunas or steam rooms are clustered at
a single location, at least 5 percent of the saunas and steam
rooms, but not less than one, of each type in each cluster
shall be accessible.
Thanks a lot. I just want to know where the sauna company is getting their information for the exception for their design, and if there are any other exceptions. Reason being, accessible saunas which we will build will take up a considerable amount of space compared to their saunas.

Thanks a lot. I just want to know where the sauna company is getting their information for the exception for their design, and if there are any other exceptions. Reason being, accessible saunas which we will build will take up a considerable amount of space compared to their saunas.

Reasonable accommodations???

Staff supplies the help to move someone or get them over a bump?

OR,

We did not have to do it in Timbuktu

Reasonable accommodations???

Staff supplies the help to move someone or get them over a bump?

OR,

We did not have to do it in Timbuktu
From what I understand, the sales person explained that it was because of the way it is assembled, in sections and removable, and that they also have the paper work to show that it in fact does not need to accessible because of this.

From what I understand, the sales person explained that it was because of the way it is assembled, in sections and removable, and that they also have the paper work to show that it in fact does not need to accessible because of this.
I would recommend caution. I think what they may be implying is that their product is exempt from requiring a building permit. This DOES NOT mean that it is exempt from any codes or laws such as ADA. A good example of this would be cabinetry. Technically cabinet work is exempt from permit requirements (assuming no plumbing, electrical, mechanical, or structural work included) but if the work happens to be taking place in a kitchen that is required to be accessible then everything installed still has to meet accessibility requirements, regardless of the permit exemption.

I would recommend caution. I think what they may be implying is that their product is exempt from requiring a building permit. This DOES NOT mean that it is exempt from any codes or laws such as ADA. A good example of this would be cabinetry. Technically cabinet work is exempt from permit requirements (assuming no plumbing, electrical, mechanical, or structural work included) but if the work happens to be taking place in a kitchen that is required to be accessible then everything installed still has to meet accessibility requirements, regardless of the permit exemption.
That may be the case. I will contact them again to see if they can give me some more info.