• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Common Rooftop and Egress in chicago

Anderson123

We have a 15 unit residential building with a common elevator and 1 staircase leading to the rooftop. At the moment the penthouse floors each have an internal staircase in their unit leading to a doghouse and a private area of their roof. Question is could we use remainder of rooftop as common space even though their is only one common stairs and elevator? Assuming/hoping the answer is no but would love thoughts.

Welcome

Great last name.

So about how many sq ft are they wanting to use for common space?

There is an elevator that goes all the way to the roof ?
Yes their is a common elevator and staircase that go to the roof via a dog house since al the AC units are on the roof. The building was sold as the only people who should be using the roof are the penthouse owners unless others need to address maintenance issues.
Welcome

Great last name.

So about how many sq ft are they wanting to use for common space?
Thanks! Not sure exactly but I would say at least 1/3 of the roof is unfinished approx 2000sq ft and the owners who don’t have rooftop access are hoping to be able to finish it however as a penthouse owner me and the others PH owners have significant concerns due to the security, comfort and also value of our property as we paid significantly more money for our homes due to having private roofs. From a safety standpoint I don’t even think it would be allowed since you need two forms of egress, and I didn’t think an elevator would count and although technically there are 4 staircases to the roof, three of them are accessible only by entering a private apartment(aka breaking a door down to access it)

Sounds like you have your code assessment down.

Agree need two exits

So are people, beside ph using the roof already??

Are all the units in the building owned???

On the city side I would require a full plan submital for review, to even say yes

Wait a few days for more great answers.

Sounds like you have your code assessment down.

Agree need two exits

So are people, beside ph using the roof already??

Are all the units in the building owned???

On the city side I would require a full plan submital for review, to even say yes

Wait a few days for more great answers.
Thanks! At the moment no (place is only year old) and all the units have been sold. However the president and some other board people have mentioned their interest in turning the roof area that isn’t finished into common area so I’m trying to think of every reason why it shouldn’t be allowed and just from the safety of it I feel like it won’t be able to get passed unless an elevator counts as an egress

Possible, yes, likely...not....How many stories?
Four stories. The SQ footage per floor is approx 8
Unless Chicago is different, a 4 story elevator would not be required to be an egress elevator...
Thanks. Want to make sure I am tracking. Are you saying having only one common staircase and elevator would mostly suffice or are you saying the elevator won’t count therefor we don’t have enough egresses

Not to mention FHA/HUD, how many accessible units do you have? if to be common use it must be accessible by elevator.

Not to mention FHA/HUD, how many accessible units do you have? if to be common use it must be accessible by elevator.
It is accessible by elevator. After doing more research I believe it is not possible to make more of the roof occupied roof since there is only one common elevator and staircase and two egresses are required and an elevator does not count as an egress