• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

concrete floor finish

tomsmith

Have an exposed interior concrete slab, what's the best finish?

Screeding
Troweling
Floating
Float with Course Brooming
Floating with Fine Broomng

What is the final use going to be?

My experience is interiors floors are trowel finished for ease of maintenance and cleaning.

Would the occupancy type impact the finish? This is for a commercial project, but would be curious to know the options for residential as well!

For a factory floor a broom finish would probably be suitable, for a mercantile occupancy maybe something smoother.
The Code does not specify either way.
Some big box stores do stamped concrete in the foyer/airlock portion.
Where the vinyl composite tile goes they use a trowel finish.

Nicer than broom.......I always called it a "sweat finish", probably because you do sweat finishing it!

Trowel vs. Floating with Brooming, which is best for interior exposed surface..

Trowel vs. Floating vs. Floating with Brooming *

By the way, is it possible to edit previous posts?

Which one would produce an interior non slip finish, the coarse brooming or the fine brooming?

Starting to think you’re yanking our chain here, you’ve been asked a couple of times anyways, what is the specific use you are asking about?

ACTUALLY- CDA resources just helped, thanks much! This is for an interior commercial renovation- a boutique store. Everything I'm reading confirms trowel is for interior applications and floating with brooming is for exterior.

Given that it is a boutique what does the designer want to see? Many are staining a smooth finish.

your gonna wanna burnish it, polish it, or whatever technique you want to create a nicer interior finish and seal it or you will have concrete dust everywhere

What's the latest technology on this? My BIL did a countertop nearly a decade ago and said it was a ton of work. Have there been any new tools to make the job 'easier'? I see there's some using it for polished floors too.

What's the latest technology on this? My BIL did a countertop nearly a decade ago and said it was a ton of work. Have there been any new tools to make the job 'easier'? I see there's some using it for polished floors too.

Did he do it upside down so form side was exposed, or try to finish the top side?

I honestly don't think there are new tools, maybe some now electric and/or cordless. Maybe some new admixtures.