• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Condemned houses under UCC

inspecterbake

Sawhorse
I need to know if anyone has condmned a structure under the UCC in PA. Any and all advice would be helpful.

Thanks already knew that have a situation involving 80 yr old lady a/k/a cat lady. Fire department had to wear hazmat suits to go in and take her out of the house. They found her in a pile of trash which covers the entire house. With any luck the health department will be involved along with the fire department since this is not the first time for the same house.

The Enviro Health guy is my best friend in situations like you describe. He has citation powers that I don't have.

Sue

New problem the lady passed away now I have to track down the next of kin or secure the property but the powers that be wants the borough to stay away because there will be cost involved that they don't want. You gotta love politics makes me wish I would have stayed in the private sector.

inspecterbake,

I have one of those also. House burned up with the owner in it. I have not made it over to the courthouse yet to see if I can find a living relative who is, um, competant and not out in space? Post it, board it up, and walk away, it's the cheapest. Eventually it will either:

1. be claimed by a relative, or

2. come up for tax sale and someone will buy it

Sue

clean it up.. lien the property. To not clean it up can make it unsaleable. (A building on the property always makes it worth than a vacant lot). But I agree with Sue.. someone will claim it.