• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Condensate Disposal ( Residential )

north star

Sawhorse
@ @ ~ @ @

I have an application where a homeowner has an
HVAC package unit in their attic........They currently
have the condensation drain pan, primary drain
line directed in to the sanitary sewer drain piping
nearby............No "Overflow Shut-Off Sensor"
is installed in the drain pan.

Q1): Is the Condensation Drain Pan, primary drain
line
" required " to be connected to the sanitary
sewer piping, or can it be installed similar to a Water
Heater, Drain Pan piping that gravity flows to the
exterior of the bldg. ?..........Please provide the
applicable Code Sections and or Commentary.
The applicable Codes for reference are the 2012,
2015 & 2018 Residential Codes.

Q2): Can a secondary drain line also be installed
to the exterior of the bldg. ?

FWIW, ...the homeowner is wanting to remove the
sanitary sewer connection, cap the piping and
direct all condensation piping to the exterior.

Your input is GREATLY appreciated !..........Thank you !

@ @ ~ @ @

2018 IRC M1411.3 Condensate Disposal doesn’t say anything to require the sanitary sewer solution.

Attachments

• 5C333A7F-7FA4-4A9D-8E28-5586432218CC.jpeg
    5C333A7F-7FA4-4A9D-8E28-5586432218CC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
I've never seen anything in code to require or prohibit a condensate drain into sanitary sewer, assuming it has the proper air-gap (or vacuum break) and p-trap. In the scenario you're describing what the customer wants is definitely a better setup, IMO.

Better? Depends... my area, units can expel 4-5 gallons per day. Key word in code is APPROVED. If it’s to piped off and used for irrigation maybe, but dumped on ground beside footings, I don’t think so. Just my opinion

Better? Depends... my area, units can expel 4-5 gallons per day. Key word in code is APPROVED. If it’s to piped off and used for irrigation maybe, but dumped on ground beside footings, I don’t think so. Just my opinion
Absolutely agree, I'm only experienced in the conditions I see and we don't get anywhere near that kind of volume of water from condensates. There are plenty of scenarios where it would be better to drain into the sewer, and probably plenty where it's the only option. If the conditions allow and the customer wants it, then I think it would be better.

1 + 1 = 3

O.K. !.........Thank you all for your input !
This will be good news to the homeowner. :)

6 - 5 = 47

Some jurisdictions will not let you dispose of the condensate into the sewer system simply because the volume of condensate drain within the jurisdiction will overload the sewer treatment facility. When I was in the HVAC industry in south Fl this was the case and we disposed of the condensate into a French drain. Here in MT they will allow it to connect to the sanitary sewer.

We allow a connection to the sanitary sewer. We would not allow an arbitrary connection to a vent in an attic. The connection to a sink tailpiece or a clothes washer stand pipe is approved. We also allow the condensate to drain on the ground next to the building.

My only hesitation to draining to the ground would be if there was a basement.

When I had a house with the A/C in the attic I had the overflow piped to the eave just outside the living room window so a clogged main drain would be obvious!