• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Conflict

Plumb-bob

In what situations would you ask to be removed from a file because of a conflict? If the owner is a family member, friend, co-worker, etc.?

I live in a small town and know everybody, so it is unreasonable that I be removed from most files. However, I am asking my supervisor to take over files that are for co-workers as this can get awkward. We are a unionized workforce.

As an example, I have a co-worker that I recently caught installing an illegal suite. I politely asked that she get a building permit and move through the proper process. It is now several weeks later and no permit application. I would like to pass this to my manager.

Thoughts?

Where you are in a unionized environment, it might be helpful to have this discussion with the union leadership (CUPE, etc.) as they could have similar situations that could provide guidance.

As a manager, I saw conflicts as any relationship outside of the normal relationships we establish with contractors, where the official might experience irregular pressure to exercise their authority in a way that is not keeping with how those duties are traditionally discharged. This goes in both directions (less strict and more strict).

We had a rule that no one could request a certain building official. One time a person requested that I be the official assigned to their house construction.

Me: We generally do not allow people to pick their inspector unless there is a very good reason.
Him: I think I have a good reason.
Me: Ok, lets hear it.
Him: My builder is your other inspector's ex-husband.
Me: Yup, that is a good reason.

As a Building Official I don't need the details if a inspector/employee is asking not to be involved with a specific project. I will do everything that I can to accommodate his request. Employees need to know you have their backs and best interest when they are doing their job.

This is where good policy comes into play. And a good understanding of ethics/morals. The provincial government should have some good guidelines on such things, and failing that, your municipality (if applicable.)

The thresholds are twofold: pecuniary interests (ie: your actions directly affect an immediate relation) or situations where the official could be perceived as being biased. (Ie: a contractor who is dating the ex of one of my inspectors... the contractor's files go to someone else.)

Your co-worker is not immune from enforcement. That's the bottom line.....