• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Confusing door hardware

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I have a proposed access control set-up I need help with. The first submittal was for mag-lock door, installed in a 1-hr fire barrier. It was shown as a glass door. I sent it back, requesting a rated opening and active latch bolt and closer. The response was to provide a 1-hr SC wood door, with a mag-lock, and a levered handle that provided a positive latch. They are providing a sensor release on the interior, with a push to exit as a secondary release, and interruption of power to the magnet if loss of power, sprinkler or alarm activation. These requirements are straight out of the book for 2012 IBC 1008.1.9.8 access controlled egress doors, which does not appear to include mag-locks. Mag-locks, as covered by 1008.1.9.9 require listed hardware with a built in switch. It seems as though they are combining the two sections. So the sequence of operations is this:
From the inside, approach the door, a sensor detects and release the mag-lock, you then operate the lever handle. As a secondary, if the sensor does not detect, you push the manual unlocking device, then operate the lever.
In both cases, the hardware is free egress, and the door remains latched.
If this makes any sense, is it compliant? Lori, are you out there?

I'm here!

These 2 sections of the IBC have been a big source of confusion, which is why the section titles have now been changed. Mag-lock applications can comply with either Access Controlled Egress Doors or Electromagnetically Locked Egress Doors - depending on how they are released. ACED covers locks (typically mag-locks) that are released by a sensor. ELED covers locks (also typically mag-locks) that are released by a switch in door-mounted hardware. What you are describing sounds code-compliant.

In the 2018 edition, the titles of these sections are:
1010.1.9.9 Sensor release of electrically locked egress doors. (was 1010.1.9.8 ACED), and
1010.1.9.10 Door hardware release of electrically locked egress doors. (was 1010.1.9.9 ELED)

The 2015 Commentary cleared this up a bit - I helped. And I made a video for you: http://idighardware.com/2018/02/code-requirements-for-electromagnetic-locks-video/ :)

Awesome. Thank you for the quick reply and video. I couldn't find a reason that it didn't satisfy the intent of the codes, and I did look at 2018 for clarification but still wasn't sure. Now I am!