• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Construction glue will fix that

I would like to ask you guys a question about this:

Do contractors actually try to get away with this type of patchwork? That was a rhetorical question. The real question is, how often do you see this kind of thing? Did this guy think it wouldn't be spotted, or that it wouldn't matter?

Doorman said:
The real question is, how often do you see this kind of thing? Did this guy think it wouldn't be spotted, or that it wouldn't matter?
Would say the ratio to the economy; the more construction going on in one place the higher the frequency. Usually from Bobcats and Backhoes grading and moving stuff, guess some guys don't want to pay out any more than can get away with on accidents.

Once saw a stem wall punched in on the crawl space side; had it covered up with parging on the outside.

Francis

This job has had a lot of problems. The concrete block was just icing on the cake. I think I've spent more time on this little sunroom/garage addition than 6,000 sq. ft. houses. This is a new contractor to our area that has worked mainly in a large population city north of us. She brought her framing crew with her and it's been quite an education process (for them). I haven't seen this particular thing happen before. I don't believe the framer was thinking anything when he did it. The piece sticks out a 1/4 inch.

=

"What is the code violation?"
Section R104.9 - Approved materials and equipment.Materials, equipment and devices approved by the building official

shall be constructed and installed in accordance with such approval.

R607.2.2 - Masonry unit placement.

The mortar shall be sufficiently plastic and units shall be placed

with sufficient pressure to extrude mortar from the joint and produce

a tight joint..........Deep furrowing of bed joints that produces voids

shall not be permitted........Any units disturbed to the extent that

initial bond is broken after initial placement shall be removed and

relaid in fresh mortar...........Surfaces to be in contact with mortar

shall be clean and free of deleterious materials.

=

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks North Star

Personally I do not see a structural problem with the one broken block in the picture and if the cell happens have rebar and is filled with concrete as they are here every 3 ft then it is just ugly for a finished block wall.

mtlogcabin said:
What is the code violation?
1. New materials unless approved by the BO. 2. Show me code approval.

3. Provide a letter from the manufacturer approving this repair.

mtlogcabin said:
Thanks North StarPersonally I do not see a structural problem with the one broken block in the picture and if the cell happens have rebar and is filled with concrete as they are here every 3 ft then it is just ugly for a finished block wall.
mtl = the voice of reason!

=

IMO, the broken CMU is probably o.k. "if " this is the only one, but

it doesn't meet the "letter of the code".......The "intent" will be up

to the BO of that AHJ.

Also, would you [ as a homeowner ] accept / pay for this type of

work on your personal property?........I would not!

=

north star said:
=IMO, the broken CMU is probably o.k. "if " this is the only one, but

it doesn't meet the "letter of the code".......The "intent" will be up

to the BO of that AHJ.

Also, would you [ as a homeowner ] accept / pay for this type of

work on your personal property?........I would not!

=
Got to admit that the repair could look better. However this is could be a case of the cure being worse than the disease. If that's a grouted block can you imagine the damage done to the wall tearing it out?

Around here they use something like that adhesive to stick pavers to concrete steps and it's accepted for exterior exposures.

Worse case I'd support would be knock out the broken portion and parage the void back in, only after the owner buys off on the repair beforehand.

Bill

kyhowey said:
. . .This is a new contractor to our area that has worked mainly in a large population city north of us. . .
Perhaps, the contractor will quickly move further south :)

KZQuixote said:
If that's a grouted block can you imagine the damage done to the wall tearing it out?
But if it was grouted, it probably wouldn't have knocked out a chunk/corner like that. The grout would have held most of the block in place, sort of depends on what caused the damage. IMHO, the block comes out and a new one goes in.

mmmarvel said:
But if it was grouted, it probably wouldn't have knocked out a chunk/corner like that. The grout would have held most of the block in place, sort of depends on what caused the damage. IMHO, the block comes out and a new one goes in.
The face could be replaced whether the cell is grouted or not. And as I remember the picture, it was more than one.