• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Construction over filled pool - 7+yrs ago

nkaliape

I understood from GoogleEarth that my backyard had backfill of pool b/w 2014 and 2015 (more than 7 years ago). it is in bay area california (where climate is moderate).
basically when I bought this property in 2020 - I didnt notice a trace of pool. Just curious is it OK to construct single story home on top of it.

Note: dirt settle duration found on google search.
It will remain there for years – even decades. In your lawn or around your foundation, however, natural weathering processes will work on the dirt to settle it down and take hold. This usually takes around 7 years in temperate areas

any inputs / recommendations?

Your assumptions regarding climate and consolidation of the fill are not justified.

This is a situation that the IRC/California Residential Code does not address and thus your structural engineer will need to be guided by the California Building Code. You need to have a geotechnical engineer to help you and your engineer decide what is the best solution.

I can't speak for San Jose but where I worked there are three ways to fill in a swimming pool.

1. Backfilling with structural compacted fill.
2. Backfilling with uncertified fill.
3. Illegaly.

In the case of #1 there will be a record of grading and demolition permits.

In the case of #2 there will be a record of grading and demolition permits plus a covenant recorded with the County Recorder stating that there is uncertified fill with a restricted area on site not suitable for building. There should also be a note in the BS job jacket that there is a area of no construction allowed.

In the case of #3 there is nothing.

Unless number one is the case the fill operation shall start over. The pool shell need not be removed but a geotechnical engineer has to prepare a plan.

Strictly speaking in California Civil Engineers are licensed to practice geotechnical engineering. A licensed Geotechnical Engineer is only required for work on public schools and hospitals.

A geotechnical engineer would be your best bet.

The issue with found information is that it depends on two things. The first, that the person stating the information is an actual expert. And the second, that the information is within your desired context.

How to tell if someone is an expert: If they answer your question at all, it will start with some form of "it depends".

Fill is fill and is not virgin soil until the next ice age or the material has bee analyzed, compacted in the required lifts and tested by a Geotech company.

Placed by man and not by God, even then origin of fill material is suspect.
Have you checked title report or sales disclosure statements, old permits?