• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Consultant asked me if a fire rated floor assembly is required. How do I determine if it is required or not?

peri_5xg

I am an architect in training at the moment. We are working on a three story building, and the structural consultant asked if we require a fire-rated floor assembly for the building. She thinks that a 1-Hr rating would be required but I am not sure. What would the information be that I would require to answer this question? The building is wood frame exterior walls with light gauge metal frame bearing walls on continuous footings. The building is sprinklered with two means of egress and the occupancy is 270 total. 12300 SF total building area. I want to understand the way in which I determine this. My guess is that this is a Type V-B building, based on those parameters but I am not sure. Thank you for your help.

Section 508 of the IBC addresses separated mixed uses and non-separated mixed uses. Since your building is primarily a "B" occupancy with accessory "A" uses and sprinkled, there probably is not a requirement for a fire rated floor ceiling assembly. However, you need to check with your state and/or local codes for any amendments.
As an AIT, I commend you for finding this site and asking questions. Learning how to use and navigate the codes will enable you to provide the professionalism your future clients/employer will notice and appreciate.

What code is your jurisdiction using? And... just like mylogcabin said, kudos for reaching out to this site. There is a lot of talent here. I'm 31 years in to the code insanity and the people on this board are still teaching me!

@ ~ @ ~ @

peri_5xg,

Also, a "Thank You" for finding this site !......This
Forum is THE BEST construction codes & standards
Forum on the internet.........I encourage you to
Bookmark this site and come back often to learn,
contribute and engage..........Look around some on
here........Kick the tires, ...Deep Dive in to some of
the archived topics........There is a wealth of information
on here.

If your referenced structural consultant believes that
a 1 hr. fire rated floor \ ceiling assembly is required,
then I would ask her the questions and request that
she provide some Code Sections and \ or Standards
to support her belief.......See where the conversation
goes.........Also, please come back here and report
on your on your progress........Inquiring minds
wanna know ! :)

@ ~ @ ~ @

Thank you everyone! I have figured it out. Doing some additional research into the code and further investigation, I have determined that the construction type as V-A. according to the Table 601, if it is equip with an Automatic Sprinkler System, it can be classified as a V-A type, and does NOT required rated flooring.

"D. An approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 shall be allowed to be substituted for 1-hour fire-resistance-rated construction, provided such system is not otherwise required by other provisions of the code or used for an allowable area increase in accordance with Section 506.3 or an allowable height increase in accordance with Section 504.2. The 1-hour substitution for the fire resistance of exterior walls shall not be permitted."

Thank you everyone! I have figured it out. Doing some additional research into the code and further investigation, I have determined that the construction type as V-A. according to the Table 601, if it is equip with an Automatic Sprinkler System, it can be classified as a V-A type, and does NOT required rated flooring.

"D. An approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 shall be allowed to be substituted for 1-hour fire-resistance-rated construction, provided such system is not otherwise required by other provisions of the code or used for an allowable area increase in accordance with Section 506.3 or an allowable height increase in accordance with Section 504.2. The 1-hour substitution for the fire resistance of exterior walls shall not be permitted."

Fantastic,,,

got to read the Footnotes!!! They will either help you or hurt you

VA structural floors are 1hr rated.....Are you saying you are sprinklering even though it is not "required"? that is the only way you get to use in lieu of a rating....

It looks like this exception was removed after the 2012 IBC.

Down and dirty with assumptions.

Procedure;

Determine occupancies; B with lobby and waiting considered accessory (verify)

Determine height of building; 2 Stories with a basement (OP a bit confusing)

Guess a Type of Construction; Type VB (confirm later)

Check permissible height and areas; B Occupancy, Type VB sprinklered, permitted 3 Stories and 27,000 sf per floor, no frontage increase taken ( Tables 504.4 & 506.2).

Check Table 601 for Fire Resistant requirements of Elements; None.

As I said at the beginning, down and dirty. It appears with a B Occupancy, Type VB would be compliant with no Fire Resistant requirements for the major elements. Further review suggested.

Ken

Don't forget the A use on the second floor...
This is where the OP confused me a bit. By the description it sounds like the Building is 2 Stories with a basement. The OP sounded like what was being called a second floor is actually the First Story. I also assumed the Lobby/waiting as a B Accessory. Even being conservative, Type VB would permit 2 Story's with an A Occupancy so a non-separated occupancy would still work. As I said, just winging it with alot of assumptions.

Ken