• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Contractor wants to cancel permit before work is done

jar546

Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
My solution would be a combination of solutions already mentioned.

Request a letter from the HO stating they are requesting closing, and why.

Building Department documents thoroughly through narrative and digital images and video, and attach to permit.

Document that when permit is reopened/reapplied for (by anyone), work must comply with code in effect when resumed.

About all you can do, otherwise they walk away, and you still have an unfinished permit. At least they are giving you a heads up.

JMHO, that's how I would handle it, obviously not a one size fits all.
Yep, that is the route that we have decided to take.

steveray

Sawhorse
Yep....I would say same, if you need to close it....Maybe revise the scope on the original permit to reflect the work that was completed to a satisfactorily safe level....If you can sell that to the HO....