• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Conversion Issues

jar546

Forum Coordinator
OK, an update:

We are on a slight hold because of an issue with attachments. Basically when we converted from vB4 to vB5 it made things quite difficult to convert everything to Xenforo effectively. I am specifically talking about attachments such as photos and pdf's. Some of the old photos may not show and some may be linked to the wrong photos. We are working on that.

In a worst case scenario, it will have to be water under the bridge and we will have to live with it. The reality is that the newer content is more relevant and will have less issues and we need to move forward with new content anyway. A photo from 2010 may not be as relevant starting a new thread with a new photo today. We may just have to suck it up and that's the way it is.

Conarb, the worst thing that I did was upgrade to vB5. I am openly admitting it. You were right and I was wrong. If we were converting from vB4 to Xenforo this would not be an issue but when they upgraded to vB5 they mixed the data together and have both vB4 and vB5 coding which is completely different. I already pumped out $110 more than planned for a conversion code from another 3rd party and looks like I have to spend that again on a second 3rd party.

Basically folks, the $1,000 that it was going to cost to move forward was too low and we fell short of our fundraising goal anyway. As usual, I will fill in the monetary holes.

When this is all said and done we will be happy, very happy. Until then I have a lot of work to do for the conversion. Waiting to hear back to see if the problem with old photos and attachments can be salvaged. The basic content and wording is not affected, just the attachments on some of them.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff:

Just be thankful that it hasn't hurt you, the reason I was so vehement is that the JLC's changeover was and is continuing to cause the forum to die a slow death, your numbers have increased in spite of the changeover.

Unfortunately you seem to have reached the point where those willing to contribute have contributed, those unwilling are freeloading, you have to do something, have you looked into limiting the posting of those who haven't contributed? Giving people something for free never works, they don't appreciate it.

Jeff:Just be thankful that it hasn't hurt you, the reason I was so vehement is that the JLC's changeover was and is continuing to cause the forum to die a slow death, your numbers have increased in spite of the changeover.

Unfortunately you seem to have reached the point where those willing to contribute have contributed, those unwilling are freeloading, you have to do something, have you looked into limiting the posting of those who haven't contributed? Giving people something for free never works, they don't appreciate it.
There will be some changes coming once the conversion is done. We have built a very large database of very relevant code information and is a desirable location to get information.

Jeff, I'll tell you a story about my friend Charlie, Charlie arrived in this country penniless, he was a steward on a Chilean airline and jumped ship, he got a job as a clerk in a small liquor store/deli owned by Syd, a Turkish immigrant with no family, Syd died with no heirs, whoever administrated the estate gave the store to Charlie since it was barely breaking even. Charlie worked long and hard to try to make money, nothing he did worked, finally he got a bright idea, if he raised all of his prices he would make more money but drive business away, then he could layoff his help and run it himself and make just as much money without the aggravation of employees. He spent all of several nights going through the store with his rubber price stamp raising the prices of everything in the store by 10%, but he couldn't layoff anyone because business stayed the same, so the next week he did the same thing again and still business didn't go away so he couldn't reduce his expenses, but all of a sudden he was making money to the tune of $200,000 a year in 1965 which is the equivalent of $1,511,949.21 per year in 2016 dollars. What neither Syd nor Charlie realized was that the store didn't need to be competitive, it had a captive customer clientele that lived in large apartment complexes, many didn't even drive cars to go elsewhere or walked to work leaving their cars in the garages picking up items from the store on a daily basis.

Jeff, I'll tell you a story about my friend Charlie, Charlie arrived in this country penniless, he was a steward on a Chilean airline and jumped ship, he got a job as a clerk in a small liquor store/deli owned by Syd, a Turkish immigrant with no family, Syd died with no heirs, whoever administrated the estate gave the store to Charlie since it was barely breaking even. Charlie worked long and hard to try to make money, nothing he did worked, finally he got a bright idea, if he raised all of his prices he would make more money but drive business away, then he could layoff his help and run it himself and make just as much money without the aggravation of employees. He spent all of several nights going through the store with his rubber price stamp raising the prices of everything in the store by 10%, but he couldn't layoff anyone because business stayed the same, so the next week he did the same thing again and still business didn't go away so he couldn't reduce his expenses, but all of a sudden he was making money to the tune of $200,000 a year in 1965 which is the equivalent of $1,511,949.21 per year in 2016 dollars. What neither Syd nor Charlie realized was that the store didn't need to be competitive, it had a captive customer clientele that lived in large apartment complexes, many didn't even drive cars to go elsewhere or walked to work leaving their cars in the garages picking up items from the store on a daily basis.
I hear you loud and clear. Thank you.

Sounds like the old story about the frog in the pot that has the heat gradually turned up on him. I think Conarb's point is that those of us who appreciate and support Jeff's wonderful forum will continue to do so no matter what, and those who see the value now and join will stay and continue to up their support as long as it's not a big jump year after year.

I think Jeff knows who the core supporters of the forum are and although he may not be very vocal about it, I'm sure he appreciates each and every one more than we can ever realize (and more than he could ever vocalize).

For me this forum is a way to learn, to see things I would never see or learn about any other way, and to see things I have NO friggin' clue WHAT you guys (think ICE) are talking about! Of course, I'm only a dumb Architect - but I know I have much to learn from everyone here!

Thank you, Jeff, for pressing forward with this amazing forum! The more I read, the more I realize how little I know beyond how to draw lines!