• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Conversion of area from A-3 to B-2

Flexo

Friends, I have received construction documents for review, proposing a conversion of an assembly area of an existing building formerly used for dances or receptions, into an apartment. I have told the Architect that sprinklers are required and he tends to disagree with this. I told him that I would ask for some peer review of the situation. We are on the 2012 International Code series.

His stance is cut and pasted below
"proposed change of use in an existing building from an A-3 use to a R-2 use A-3 occupant load = 2147sf 1 occ/15sf 2147 ÷ 15 = 143 occupants R-2 occupant load = 2147sf 1 occ/200sf 2147 ÷ 200 = 11 occupants reducing the occupant load of a space increases its level of relative safety and decreases the likely hood of a fire event while also decreasing the time for all occupants to exit a building in the event of a fire or other life / safety incident.
Per section 1004.1 of the IEBC “Fire protection requirements of Section 1011 (IEBC) shall apply where a building or portions thereof undergo a change of occupancy classification or where there is a change of occupancy within a space where there is a different fire protection system threshold requirement in Chapter 9 of the IBC.” Per chapter 9 of the IBC the A-3 use would require a sprinkler because it is “located on a floor other than a level of exit discharge” _ IBC §903.2.1.3-3. Also, in chapter 9 “an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3 shall be provided in all buildings with a group R fire area.” _IBC §903.2.8 So, Chapter 9 of the IBC has the same fire protection system threshold requirement for both occupancies, therefore because the requirement thresholds are not different the requirements of Section 1011 do not apply.
Further, and this is just hypothetical situation explaining here: If we decided to not change the occupancy classification of this space and keep it an assembly space and have a small dance party on the third floor every Friday night and invite 130 people to join the party that would be fully allowed within the code without a fire sprinkler or any changes to the means of egress. But because we want to change the use of this space and reduce the occupant load and the likelihood of a life safety event and ultimately reduce the load on the means of egress system and the time it will take to fully exit the building, a sprinkler is required. It feels like an excessive tax on the Owner for making decisions that will increase the safety of an existing structure while trying to preserve a significant and vital building along main street."

What is your finding?

Thanks

Just one apartment proposed on the fourth or more??

How many existing stairways from the fourth?

Firstly...The threshold in 903 is all R vs. sqft or people for A occupancies, so it is not "the same threshold", just the same requirement or outcome, sort of....It is written that way for just this reason...

[F] 903.2.8 Group R. An automatic sprinkler system
installed in accordance with Section 903.3 shall be provided
throughout all buildings with a Group R fire area.

[F] 903.2.1.2 Group A-2. An automatic sprinkler system
shall be provided for fire areas containing Group
A-2 occupancies and intervening floors of the building
where one of the following conditions exists:
1. The fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet (464.5
m2).
2. The fire area has an occupant load of 100 or
more.
3. The fire area is located on a floor other than a
level of exit discharge serving such occupancies.

His closing paragraph seems like he wants to go "performance" in the IEBC, but doubt he would get there with how "unsafe" that building seems to currently be....

Firstly...The threshold in 903 is all R vs. sqft or people for A occupancies, so it is not "the same threshold", just the same requirement or outcome, sort of....It is written that way for just this reason...

[F] 903.2.8 Group R. An automatic sprinkler system
installed in accordance with Section 903.3 shall be provided
throughout all buildings with a Group R fire area.

[F] 903.2.1.2 Group A-2. An automatic sprinkler system
shall be provided for fire areas containing Group
A-2 occupancies and intervening floors of the building
where one of the following conditions exists:
1. The fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet (464.5
m2).
2. The fire area has an occupant load of 100 or
more.
3. The fire area is located on a floor other than a
level of exit discharge serving such occupancies.

His closing paragraph seems like he wants to go "performance" in the IEBC, but doubt he would get there with how "unsafe" that building seems to currently be....
I agree. In the 2012 IEBC, there is no statement that says "Changes in use or occupancy in a building or portion thereof shall be such that the existing building is no less complying with the provisions of this code than the existing building or structure was prior to the change" like there is in the 2015 edition's prescriptive requirements. But if there was your statement would be correct--two completely different requirements. The 2012 IEBC's (and later editions) work area method requires the sprinkler system "throughout the area where the change of occupancy occurs." Now what is meant by "area" in that statement could mean many things to the person interpreting the code: the portion of the story where the change occurs, the entire story, the entire building...who knows.

I agree. In the 2012 IEBC, there is no statement that says "Changes in use or occupancy in a building or portion thereof shall be such that the existing building is no less complying with the provisions of this code than the existing building or structure was prior to the change" like there is in the 2015 edition's prescriptive requirements. But if there was your statement would be correct--two completely different requirements. The 2012 IEBC's (and later editions) work area method requires the sprinkler system "throughout the area where the change of occupancy occurs." Now what is meant by "area" in that statement could mean many things to the person interpreting the code: the portion of the story where the change occurs, the entire story, the entire building...who knows.

In that case I would say fire area, broadly...But every case could be different...

He was citing Ch 10 so I assumed work area, not prescriptive....Which is why it is so important for the designer to cite their compliance method on the plan. Keeps them from mixing and matching and us from guessing....And for prescriptive, I will always go back to:

SECTION 407
CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY
407.1 Conformance. No change shall be made in the use or occupancy of any building that would place the building in a different division of the same group of occupancy or in a
different group of occupancies, unless such building is made
to comply with the requirements of the International Building Code for such division or group of occupancy.

In that case I would say fire area, broadly...But every case could be different...

He was citing Ch 10 so I assumed work area, not prescriptive....Which is why it is so important for the designer to cite their compliance method on the plan. Keeps them from mixing and matching and us from guessing....And for prescriptive, I will always go back to:

SECTION 407
CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY
407.1 Conformance. No change shall be made in the use or occupancy of any building that would place the building in a different division of the same group of occupancy or in a
different group of occupancies, unless such building is made
to comply with the requirements of the International Building Code for such division or group of occupancy.
I concur--the 2012 IEBC provided no wiggle room. The only alternative, in my opinion, is to try to use the performance compliance method, but I can't say if that will work in the owner's favor or not.

shall be provided throughout all buildings with a Group R fire area.

the whole building needs to be sprinkled, as well the R requirements are more restrictive.