• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Converting a mixed use building to mostly B1 tenantd - still need sprinklers for the entire building?

Ryan Schultz

I'm helping a client potentially convert (3) 2nd floor R2's to a B1 tenant.

Even though there will only be (1) R2 left in the entire building after the renovation, will we need to sprinkler the entire building since the renovation is more than 50% of the building's area?

The building is only 2 stories.

2021-02-08_18-20-10_Revucode_questions_-_Bluebeam_Revu_x64Revu.png

If there is only 1 is it still R2?...That is a weird one.....

310.4 Residential Group R-2. Residential Group R-2 occupancies
containing sleeping units or more than two dwelling
units
where the occupants are primarily permanent in nature,
including:

I agree, from what I can gather, the remaining residence would be an R3.
Yes there's a change in occupancy--it would be those 3 R2's that were converted to B1's.

I agree, from what I can gather, the remaining residence would be an R3.
Yes there's a change in occupancy--it would be those 3 R2's that were converted to B1's.

Not an IEBC person

But is IEBC in play there?? For this project

No you do not have to sprinkle the whole building. The hazard level is actually lower going from a R-1 to a R-3 as far as means of egress is concerned so no need to sprinkle the existing R occupancy. I would follow 1011.1.1.2 for separation requirements .

2018 IEBC
SECTION 1004
FIRE PROTECTION

1004.1 General.
Fire protection requirements of Section 1011 shall apply where a building or portions thereof undergo a change of occupancy classification or where there is a change of occupancy within a space where there is a different fire protection system threshold requirement in Chapter 9 of the International Building Code.

1011.1.1.2 Change of occupancy classification with separation.
Where a portion of an existing building is changed to a new occupancy classification or where there is a change of occupancy within a space where there is a different fire protection system threshold requirement in Chapter 9 of the International Building Code, and that portion is separated from the remainder of the building with fire barriers having a fire-resistance rating as required in the International Building Code for the separate occupancy, that portion shall comply with all of the requirements of Chapter 9 of this code for the new occupancy classification and with the requirements of this chapter.

from our AHJ.

"Three or more tenants in the building but only the B occupancy is remodeled, the residential portion is not touched. The remodeled B area is over 50% of the building area making it a level 3 alteration. IEBC s. 904.1 references s. 804.2 so the primary sprinkler threshold remains the same. There are additional triggers in Ch. 9 for level 3 alterations for high rise buildings, trash and linen chutes, and upholstered furniture manufacturing, sales or storage. IEBC 804.2.2 would only require sprinkler protection if the work area required it per the IBC. The remodeled B occupancy most likely does not need a sprinkler system, therefore no sprinkler system for the building."