• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

COPS - NEC 708, Critical operations power systems Q.

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Do all new police stations require the COPS or is an option?
Reference: NEC Article 708

Who typically decides a COPS in a building, City Council by resolution or Ordinance?

I would think that COPS would be a requirement for a dispatch center but not for the stations themselves. I don't know of any code requirement for this however.

Thanks for the responses.

I believe this COPS requirement does not fall on the BO to enforce unless requested by a legislative body. Our County does the dispatching and jailing duties as well as emergency management. The question came from an RDP on a new police station.

Thanks for the responses.

I believe this COPS requirement does not fall on the BO to enforce unless requested by a legislative body. Our County does the dispatching and jailing duties as well as emergency management. The question came from an RDP on a new police station.

Agree

county needs to decide if essential building and wants it to continue to work, when all else fails.