• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Corridor Dead End if doors swing opposite egress?

Blazer

If I have a corridor that has doors at one end that swing opposite egress and it is longer than 50' (sprinklered), does this violate the code? (1018.4 Dead ends). The opposite end has doors that swing in direction of egress.

Great beat the dead end corridor issue.

A diagram would help.

Ok crazy question time:

Do you have a corridor for sure??

Are two separate ways out of this area required??

Is this a one floor building or multi story??

If multi story is this set up on an upper floor?

It is an E occupancy. About 150 are forced from rooms with one exit into the corridor. Two story building with setup on main floor. Corridor is 210 feet long with double doors about half way where they are adjacent to a cross corridor (imagine a T config.) That corridor has doors at the end as well that swing into the long corridor also. The solution is to make the doors bi-directional to solve the dead end issue. I just wanted to ask anyone if doors that don't swing in direction of egress won't be considered an exit.

I hate to say only

But if the doors were put in place to eliminate a dead end issue and swing was not a problem than the answer would be yes.

I take it this is new construction/ proposed ???

His initial ? would lead one to believe that this is an alteration to an existing building, no?

It is an E occupancy. About 150 are forced from rooms with one exit into the corridor. Two story building with setup on main floor. Corridor is 210 feet long with double doors about half way where they are adjacent to a cross corridor (imagine a T config.) That corridor has doors at the end as well that swing into the long corridor also. The solution is to make the doors bi-directional to solve the dead end issue. I just wanted to ask anyone if doors that don't swing in direction of egress won't be considered an exit.

Does not sound right

Do you know why the doors are there??

Part of a rated wall??

Or just there