• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Corridor Lighting

hbendillo

Is corridor lighting exempt from the provision to be automatically controlled (time schedule, occupancy sensor) in an application where automatic controls are required (Building 5000 square feet or more). I have been interpreting that it does as long as the egress or emergency lighting is available when required.

welcome from the welcoming committee.

How did you find this humble forum.

What building code and edtion are you designing to?

and do you have a code section by chance?

505.2.2.1 Light reduction controls. Each area that is required to have a manual control shall also allow the occupant to reduce the connected lighting load in a reasonably uniform illumination pattern by at least 50 percent. Lighting reduction shall be achieved by one of the following or other approved method:

1. Controlling all lamps or luminaires;

2. Dual switching of alternate rows of luminaires, alternate luminaires or alternate lamps;

3. Switching the middle lamp luminaires independently of the outer lamps; or

4. Switching each luminaire or each lamp.

Exceptions:

1. Areas that have only one luminaire.

2. Areas that are controlled by an occupant-sensing device.

3. Corridors, storerooms, restrooms or public lobbies.

4. Sleeping unit (see Section 505.2.3).

5. Spaces that use less than 0.6 watts per square foot (6.5 W/m2).

From 2009 IECC as well as above

505.2.2.2 Automatic lighting shutoff. Buildings larger than 5,000 square feet (465 m2) shall be equipped with an automatic control device to shut off lighting in those areas. This automatic control device shall function on either:

1. A scheduled basis, using time-of-day, with an independent program schedule that controls the interior lighting in areas that do not exceed 25,000 square feet (2323 m2) and are not more than one floor; or

2. An occupant sensor that shall turn lighting off within 30 minutes of an occupant leaving a space; or

3. A signal from another control or alarm system that indicates the area is unoccupied.

Exception: The following shall not require an automatic control device:

1. Sleeping unit (see Section 505.2.3).

2. Lighting in spaces where patient care is directly provided.

3. Spaces where an automatic shutoff would endanger occupant safety or security.

You have to meet both sections Occ sensors do, so IMO, they are easiest...

cda said:
welcome from the welcoming committee.How did you find this humble forum.

What building code and edtion are you designing to?

and do you have a code section by chance?
I was looking for some discussion on the energy code and found the forum with a search online.

We are designing to the 2009 International Energy Code.

The code section I am looking at is 505. In particular 505.2.2.2.

Thanks for the welcome.

steveray said:
From 2009 IECC as well as above505.2.2.2 Automatic lighting shutoff. Buildings larger than 5,000 square feet (465 m2) shall be equipped with an automatic control device to shut off lighting in those areas. This automatic control device shall function on either:

1. A scheduled basis, using time-of-day, with an independent program schedule that controls the interior lighting in areas that do not exceed 25,000 square feet (2323 m2) and are not more than one floor; or

2. An occupant sensor that shall turn lighting off within 30 minutes of an occupant leaving a space; or

3. A signal from another control or alarm system that indicates the area is unoccupied.

Exception: The following shall not require an automatic control device:

1. Sleeping unit (see Section 505.2.3).

2. Lighting in spaces where patient care is directly provided.

3. Spaces where an automatic shutoff would endanger occupant safety or security.

You have to meet both sections Occ sensors do, so IMO, they are easiest...
So are you saying your interpretation is that corridors require the automatic controls?

steveray said:
505.2.2.1 Light reduction controls. Each area that is required to have a manual control shall also allow the occupant to reduce the connected lighting load in a reasonably uniform illumination pattern by at least 50 percent. Lighting reduction shall be achieved by one of the following or other approved method:1. Controlling all lamps or luminaires;

2. Dual switching of alternate rows of luminaires, alternate luminaires or alternate lamps;

3. Switching the middle lamp luminaires independently of the outer lamps; or

4. Switching each luminaire or each lamp.

Exceptions:

1. Areas that have only one luminaire.

2. Areas that are controlled by an occupant-sensing device.

3. Corridors, storerooms, restrooms or public lobbies.

4. Sleeping unit (see Section 505.2.3).

5. Spaces that use less than 0.6 watts per square foot (6.5 W/m2).
This section is pretty specific. Light reduction controls are not required in corridors in my opinion.

hbendillo said:
This section is pretty specific. Light reduction controls are not required in corridors in my opinion.
Correct....You have to go back to 505.2.1 to get the exemption from manual controls which then exempts you from 502.2.2....502.2.2.2 is not specific like 505.2.2.1..

steveray said:
Correct....You have to go back to 505.2.1 to get the exemption from manual controls which then exempts you from 502.2.2....502.2.2.2 is not specific like 505.2.2.1..
I think I know what you are trying to say , but here is my problem. Exception 1 to 505.2.1 for mandatory manual controls states:

"Lighting in stairways or corridors that are elements of the means of egress"

I take "elements of the means of egress" to mean only the required emergency lighting in the corridor is exempt from manual control, not all of the light fixtures in the corridor.

It is clear in 505.2.2.1 that light reduction controls are not required in corridors.

So when I get to 505.2.2.2, I am still not positive that I don't need automatic controls. Maybe I am over thinking it. I've talked to engineers who do not include automatic controls for corridors.

Maybe I am overthinking it.

Required egress lighting and emergency lighting are different requirements....I believe they are saying enclosed egress elements( are exempt) without getting into exit access (which is kind of everything)...

"... elements of the means of egress..." is referring to the "... stairways or corridors..." not the lighting.